Hot Rod Builder also gone

oldbuckster

You mean Charlie the Painter ? Boyd and Chip ended up not liking each other, I believe that was true. Please remember, that Boyd went Bankrupt once, screwed alot of people, then started his business up again. Duane, his head man there,could be a real jerk, and both his ex-wife and present wife worked there ................ alot on his plate, and a life long Diabetic too !!!!!!!! He did design some FINE cars, that 57 Chevy roadster was a work of Art ...... Long story short, A few years ago I almost bought a Corvette thru him, but shipping cross country made it too expensive, he had normal cars for sale too !!

You mean Charlie the Painter ? Boyd and Chip ended up not liking each other, I believe that was true. Please remember, that Boyd went Bankrupt once, screwed alot of people, then started his business up again. Duane, his head man there,could be a real jerk, and both his ex-wife and present wife worked there ................ alot on his plate, and a life long Diabetic too !!!!!!!! He did design some FINE cars, that 57 Chevy roadster was a work of Art ...... Long story short, A few years ago I almost bought a Corvette thru him, but shipping cross country made it too expensive, he had normal cars for sale too !!

Yeah Charlie and the kid with the paralyzed upper lip who did computer design stuff both ended up with Foose. Boyd did some really fine cars. I just don't care for high stress workplaces like his and the American Chopper program. I know some, if not most of it is hype but I do not see where it adds anything to the entertainment. But, in real life, people do not bail from their jobs to work for your nearest competitor, so his workplace had to be somewhat as tense in reality. That takes nothing away from his vehicles though.

We've been discussing Mr. B on our f-body forums, and the general consensus is 60/40

dislike/like......I loved his wheel designs, but his bedside manner had room for much improvement.

Of course, I never met the man, and am only going off perception. I don't like criticizing people w/o actually meeting them in person, so for all I know maybe that was his style.

I didn't know that he passed away till I was watching "American Chopper" and at the end of the show they had a "In Memory Of". No matter what you can say about they, OCC, to have that is something.

I have seen the show but Duane was a real pain. I understand that it's television but man he was a real ... if you know what I mean. I also thought that Boyd was great with his ideals but the lead times were unreal, and they where like that for every build. I can see that sometimes something comes in and it needs to get out quick but not every car that was aired on the show.

Still, the auto world lost someone that really showcased what can be done to a vehicle.

James