First time Klipsch home theater buyer, need advice.

nezff

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the amp ratings, Crown rates their pro power amps both ways which might help us decipher the difference. Of course these are just stereo amps, so I'd expect the difference to be a bit more with multiple channel home theater receivers.

Rating an amp at all channels driven 20-20kHz at 100 WPC is about equal to rating a single channel at 1 kHz at 60 wpc. Depending on power supply I'd expect the general figure to be about half the 'real wattage'. I've heard some customers say that HK is using better figures these days but haven't checked it out yet.

90 W + 90 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz,
0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
105 W + 105 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%,
2 channels driven, FTC)
110 W + 110 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%,
2 channels driven, FTC)

http://www.superdigitalmedia.com/product_info.php?products_id=1872'>

There are 2 reasons for the the differences in the power ratings of this receiver. One is the frequency range given during the test as Colterphoto has mentioned, and the other being the load at which the receiver was given (6ohms vs. 8ohms). Klipsch speakers are rated optimum 8 ohms. The 90w rating is the truest rating for your application.

• Moderators

youthman, went back to my dealer a few minutes ago and found this setup for sale: 2 RB-81, 1 RC-52, 2 1650-C, 1 RW-10d $1399.95

what do you think about the RB-81s or should I go with the RF-62s? thanks again.

I have heard great things about the RB-81's but have never heard them myself. Looking at the specs on Klipsch website, they possibly have the same horn, they have the same sensitivity, made in the same year and are similar drivers other than the diameter of them. The RF-62's have a low bass response 38Hz vs 46Hz of the RB-81. Two 6 inch woofers have more surface area than one 8 inch woofer. That might explain why the lower frequency response.

Again, I think I would still lean towards the towers instead of the bookshelf speakers.

Few things you need to think about:

1. What is your budget. If it is going to stretch you too much to go with the RF-62 setup, either wait and save a little more or get the RB-81 setup.

2. Have you listened to both setups? If not, I would call them to see if you can come by and A/B compare them. Even if they cannot setup the entire system, maybe they can setup the Front Speakers and the subs.

3. Personally I think the upgrade to the 12d sub and the RC-62 would be worth the extra $400.

4. Ultimately, what do your ears tell you. What sounds best to you? You will be listening to this in your living room...not me or anyone else here (unless we get an invitation from you and maybe a plane ticket) [:D]

Let us know what you decide.

They all sound great to me. I heard the rb-51s on a regular sony 510 and they sounded fine. i think im almost for sure going to get the floor standing rf62s for a little extra money. If i traded in the rc52 for the 62 and the 10 sub for the 12, i think i would be basically in this price range or package they have:2 RF-62, 1 RC-62, 2 R1800-C, 1 RW-12d $1799.99

Ok, just called and im going to try and go with this package: 2 RF62s, 1 RC62, 2 1650-C ceiling speakers, 1 RW10d

I told him to work me up a price since i changed the bookshelf speakers to floorstanding and the center channel from 52 to 62. I also changed the sub from rpw10 to the rw10d. fingers crossed for great price!

And since I couldnt find a wall entertainment center to house my sony sxrd 60 and my center channel, Im building one from scratch. LOL

• Moderators

I told him to work me up a price since i changed the bookshelf speakers to floorstanding and the center channel from 52 to 62. I also changed the sub from rpw10 to the rw10d. fingers crossed for great price!

Remember, just because he gives you a price doesn't mean that you cannot offer him less. Worst he can say is no.

• Moderators

Let's break it down...

Retail prices below

RF-62 ($800)

RC-62 (450)

1650-C ($300 that is a guess since they do not list retail prices for them on Klipsch website)

RW10d (500)

Total Retail Price = $2050

Dealer Price = $1579

That's close to 25% off retail. Not sure how much more you could get off from that. I can't recall what your budget was.

• Moderators

Coming SOON: 2 RF62s, 1 RC62, RW10d, 2 R1650-C with Onkyo 605 all in a custom built wall entertainment center.

Just saw your post in "Let's see YOUR Home Theater" topic. So I'm assuming you are buying it?

• Moderators

Check Monoprice.com . They have great prices and many people here in the forums recommend them.

From everything that I have read, for the most part, wire is wire and cables are cables. Don't get caught up in the marketing hype of spending $100 on a 3ft digital coax cable because it says "Monster Cable" on it.

When I worked for Circuit City, we pushed Monster Cable big time. We were on commission back then. We made more money when we sold MC as opposed to regular RCA cables. I went to a Monster Cable training seminar put on by reps from Monster Cable. They were educating us why their cables were better than radio shack cables. They brought out a pair of 6ft speaker cables that were about 1 inch in diameter. Looked like braided steel. They retailed for something like $1000/pr. They asked us if we thought they were worth $1000 and if they sounded $1000 better than their $30 speaker cables. Their answer was "We sell them for $1000 because we have customers that are willing to pay that much to have the very best".

Bottom line is get a good thick cable. The lower the gauge, the thicker the cable. Check here.