First time Klipsch home theater buyer, need advice.

nezff

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooooo, wow, the sound from just these two and the sub are amazing. I played guitar hero and rock band on them, WOW! it sounds so crisp and clean. just the right thump from the sub. I have the sub set at 0db 120hz 0 phase. i think that is correct, not sure. I did the audyssey speaker setup with my onkyo, and have to say it set them up well. My speakers are exactly 9-10 feet from the your ears when laying on the couch and it set them at 9 feet and the sub at 10-12 feet. very nice extra.

I have my sub set anywhere from - 10 to - 6 most of the time and it blends well.

wow, that seems low, is it enough bass? which sub do u have. on the receiver i have the tone on the sub at 0db and the level calibration at +2db. on the sub itself i have it at 0db. there is actually three volumes if you will that i could mess with to make it lower or higher.

• Moderators

wow, that seems low, is it enough bass? which sub do u have. on the receiver i have the tone on the sub at 0db and the level calibration at +2db. on the sub itself i have it at 0db. there is actually three volumes if you will that i could mess with to make it lower or higher.

Yes it's plenty of bass. I'm using a Velodyne F-1500 which uses a 15" subwoofer with a 250 watt amplifier. It can produce a tremendous amount of bass. The sub is huge (dimensions 20" x 20" x 20") and weighs a whopping 90lbs and will hit notes down to 18Hz. On the back of my sub, it has a volume dieal from 0 - 10. I have it set on 3.

I'm sure each receiver and each sub's controls are different. Your +3 might be the same as my -3. I'm not really sure how all of that works. The volume controls on the sub would definitely be different though. It depends on how they calibrate the amp.

If I leave the sub volume at 3 and turn the receiver sub control to 0db, it's very loud. I have it set to where it does not distract from the music or movie. Someone recently said that you should not be able to tell that your sub is on but if you turn it off, you definitely notice it. I want it to blend, not to dominate the sound.

ooooo, wow, the sound from just these two and the sub are amazing.  I played guitar hero and rock band on them, WOW!  it sounds so crisp and clean. just the right thump from the sub.  I have the sub set at 0db 120hz 0 phase.  i think that is correct, not sure.  I did the audyssey speaker setup with my onkyo, and have to say it set them up well.  My speakers are exactly 9-10 feet from the your ears when laying on the couch and it set them at 9 feet and the sub at 10-12 feet.  very nice extra.

I'm assuming that your receiver has a sub or LFE RCA output. If so set your sub to LFE and defeat the sub's internal crossover. Set your front speakers to small, sub to yes, and set your receiver's crossover to 80hz. I think you'll like it.

• Moderators

LPF stands for "Low Pass Filter". If you set it to 80Hz, only frequencies 80Hz and below will play through the sub. If you set it to 120Hz, it will allow higher bass notes to pass through. By setting the receiver's crossover for the sub to off probably doesn't make any difference because your sub has a crossover in it as well. If you were playing a frequency CD you could more easily identify how this works.

I cannot remember where I found this test cd from online but I have uploaded it to my website for you to download.

http://www.soleproductions.com/forumfiles/Test_CD.zip

so by setting it to 120hz i would be letting everything from 0 to 120hz come through the sub on the LFE? and vice versa on the 80hz setting? everything from 0 to 80hz would come through the sub? Is 120hz too high? is 80 hz too low? im really confused.

• Moderators

so by setting it to 120hz i would be letting everything from 0 to 120hz come through the sub on the LFE? and vice versa on the 80hz setting? everything from 0 to 80hz would come through the sub? Is 120hz too high? is 80 hz too low? im really confused.

Yes, you are correct and yes, I believe 120Hz is too high for a sub crossover. Most suggest 80Hz is a good setting.

Most suggest 80Hz is a good setting.

(this isn't arguing)

I recently had a sub handy, I think it was a KSW15 or something like that. I did things by ear and ended up with the sub crossed at about 40 Hz. It was mated with two Heresy's (should that matter)

I fiddled around with the crossover higher & lower and again, going by nothing more than the seat of my pants, felt 40 was better for me. It might be worth noting that the total, cumulative hours of my life that I have experience with a sub in my home is probably 12 hours. So I'm NO sub expert by any stretch!

• Moderators

Colter is correct. I think a lot depends on preference and even room acoustics might have something to do with it as well as the capability of your mains to handle lower frequencies as well. Otherwise, if 80Hz was ALWAYS the best setting, they would not give you options for crossover settings on both your receiver and on the back of your sub.

Play with it...see what sounds best to you. I know that I do not like hearing mid-bass in my sub. I generally like it to only pick up the lower notes (80Hz or below). Just my preference.

I received this straight from klipsch:

LFE = low frequency effects. This is generally a discreet track put out by modern receivers. It consists of low frequency signals intended for a subwoofer. LEF signals are always low voltage, with the intention that the subwoofer is self powered and will do its own amplification (like yours is) or the sub is passive and paired with a dedicated power amp.

Low pass filter – this is a digital filter built in the audio processors. Think of this filter as a threshold for audio frequencies (measured in Hertz). Say it is set to 100Hz. Any audio signal under 100Hz will be sent to the sub and anything over 100Hz will be prevented from going to the sub and sent elsewhere (i.e. the rest of your speakers). The purpose is the send your subwoofer only the frequencies it was meant to play. It is adjustable because your other speakers may be able to handle some low frequencies themselves. Really it’s all a matter of personal taste. It makes sense that as you went from 0 to 120 you go more bass. When it is set to 0Hz all audio frequencies are skipping your sub – it isn’t being sent anything!

Your receiver has its own low pass filter. This serves the exact same purpose that the one on the subwoofer does. But we don’t have to set them both….

All that being said – here is how your type of system is normally set up. On the subwoofer’s display – turn “lowpass” off (I believe the display will say LFE mode). On the receiver set the low pass filter to 80 Hz (80Hz is the THX recommendation).

What have we just done? When setting the receiver’s low pass filter to 80Hz we have told the receiver that we want all frequencies under 80Hz to go to your subwoofer, and all frequencies over 80Hz to go to your other speakers. We have also completely bypassed the low pass filter on the sub. We don’t need it – we already filtered the audio long before it ever gets to the sub.

ok youth, I tried your test cd on my promedia klipsch while at my pc. It gave me a very good idea of the different effects of each Hz setting. I think 50-60hz on that CD is great bass. wow. anyway, I think I will either set the LPF on my receiver around 80hz or 100hz. it seems like a nice medium in there. 120 is too high. 120 sounds more midbassy too me.

• Moderators

You think it sounds good on your Promedia, burn the files to a CD and test them out on your new system. Just pull the picture frames or china off the walls before you do it. [:P]

Each sub will have different frequencies that they sound the loudest. My 15" sub probably gets louder at lower notes than a 10" sub would. I think you are on the right track with the 80Hz or 100Hz.