klipschorn using tube 26/45 tubes amplifier

miggyboy

One of my two John Hogan amps is a 6sn7/27/2A3 & 45. I chose the 27 over the 26 because (as has been pointed out) the 26 can be a hummer. However, I will point out that the late Mr. Hogan said there was something very special about the 26 tubes in his amps. I love mine that uses the 27 but have never heard the one that uses the 26.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that 26 and 27 are easily substituted since the 26 is a 4 pin and the 27 is a 5 pin tube. #26 has 1.5v filament, I guess you could use some flashlight batteries, that's cool.

I checked my junk, and mdeneen is correct, I do have some nice old 26 tubes....ah, but what the heck to do with them (?). It might be nice to use them as pre-driver tubes with 45 outputs, but alas, I see no handy schematic online or elsewhere, except for an exotic preamp with batteries for the filament and a ridiculously obscure AZ1 rectifier tube. Someone have a reasonable schematic using a 26 tube. I don't see any mention of their use by the nice folks at JE Labs who so generously share their information.

http://hjem.get2net.dk/aaholm_audio/projects/26Preamp/26Pre.htm

Has the term "integrated" come to mean any amp that makes listenable sounds with a CD player input? I tend to think of an integrated amp being one that I can plug in my phono player as well.

Just for luck, Is possible to substitute two #13 tubes in series or parallel for the #26. 13+13=26

I have a gross of NOS Arcturus #13, any good schematics for those? I have just been using them for Christmas lights....nice blue glow...strung out on the porch...

Other special tubes in my junk box waiting for schematics are globe meshplate #33, #79, #88, #97 and many other numbers whose very obscurity just about guarantees the finest possible sounds. You get a nice solfter sound from the globe meshplates because the harsher electrons deflect off the special angle of the glass sides and then fall through the mesh and are eliminated from the sound chain at this point. The mesh acts like a filter. Some of the bad sounding electrons have things like claws which get stuck so the mesh nets need to be cleaned every 20 years or so. I have a special vacuum pump for putting the tubes back together after these routine cleanings. I have a collection of the weird things cleaned from these mesh nets over the years and are set up as kind of an audiophile museum in a custom wooden case that fini made for me in exchange for cleaning the filters on some of his meshplate tubes,... best seen with a good microscope. They are still trying to develop meshplate tubes with self cleaning mesh but true tube audio hobbyists kind of enjoy the hands on process of cleaning out their own mesh filters. The best sounds are with the mesh speakers using the same concept except instead of bad sounding electrons being filtered through the mesh in the tubes, the bad or distorted sounds fall through the mesh of the speaker cone itself and end up in a pile just in front of the speaker cabinet where they can be vacuumed up. Better this than they end up in your ears. OK, Now we are talking audio. Enough of this big new amp big new speaker stuff.... let's hear it for dusty old stuff what sounds good.

c&s

Once, I was strung out on your porch. You're right about the blue glow.

The best sounds are with the mesh speakers using the same concept except instead of bad sounding electrons being filtered through the mesh in the tubes, the bad or distorted sounds fall through the mesh of the speaker cone itself and end up in a pile just in front of the speaker cabinet where they can be vacuumed up.

I think the technical name for that pile is ugena. Crazy, but true.

Woo Hoo! 10K posts! Couldn't have done it responding to a better friend.

I have a bunch of ST type 26 tubes, they seem to appear with the other ones......One is a Eveready/Raytheon 226 globe, with "Raytheon" pressed into the plate structure. I have at least one Cunningham 26 globe that still works, and some blue Arcturus type 26.

Got a bunch of ST type 27's, and a NOS RCA UY-227 mesh plate globe from 1927. Wish I had another....

Due to the 26 filament hum issue, and a tendency for microphonics,I never really messed with them. Maybe I should.

One Watt? Gee, only another 699 to go and you'll have a "realistic" audio system!

in Total agreement here, MD ..

why don't You suggest he buy an XTI ..??? 

...Because he still has good hearing?....JUST KIDDING!