Sonic Impact T Amp power supply recomendations?

Video Guy

I have one of the original Sonic Impact T Amps and want to

get an AC power supply for it, anyone want to sell one or have recommendations on

what and where to buy? I did some

searching on the forums but some of the ones recommended appear to be

discontinued.

Thanks!

Larry

Care does need to be taken. If I'm remembering correctly, it will take a 12v supply or sometimes higher is acceptable. I think I ordered a 13.something or higher from PartsExpress because it was paired with the amp as acceptable, but it fried the little guy.

I bet that there are more than a few that are interested in the answer to this question. Like some others, I originally bought an extra original T amp without the cord, thinking that I could just add it a few weeks later - and boom - Partsexpress were out of them - and they were nowhere to be found.

I am tired of running my patio rig with "batteries," and my Khorns would not be very happy if I keep stealing the power cord from my Super T (powers the 902/Trachorns on my tall Khorns).

We need part numbers and options. Hope someone has found the answer.

Carl.

Thanks for the responses. I did a fair amount of research and concluded that you need a decent quality switching power supply, 12V between 150-300 mA I believe. It sounded like you could damage the amp with too little or too much current. I assume many of the forum memebers have used the T amp. As Carl mentioned the original supply is no longer available, so I'm hoping to find somebody who can give me supplier and part number information for a supply that they have used.Thanks!

Larry

Contact Cambridge and ask about the PS for the original "2.1" SoundWorks speaker set. I've been using one on my SI T-Amp for about a year, and it works fine. I'm at work, so I don't have the part number.

I recommend using a larger DC supply. The one I used with my P6D was 12V 3A and from some reports of clipping it could have used maybe 4 or 5 Amps capability. If you use a smaller supply the amp will run out of current and clip at lower amplitudes than necessary. It is very important not to exceed 12V as this will fry the Tripath chip.

Leo

PS .. I just reviewed the math. 3A should be about right (1.5A per side). The power conversion is about 90% at high output which, after accounting for close to a Volt of switching loss at each rail produces .9 x 10 x 1.5 or 13.5 Watts driving just under 4 Ohms. Power will be lower before clipping at higher impedances.

Interesting discussion ... I used the power supply provided as a costly option when ordering it (something like $20 or so). The amp was so cheap comparatively, it didn't hurt too bad.

I know there was a lot of discussion a while back about the sonic merits of going off battery power. What that really noticeable, or was it just normal tweaking-induced forced improvement?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you. I hope life on the island is treating you well.

I have a few specs on what looks like a close match. I couldn't find the exact one I used:

Power Supplies Unlimited, Inc

http://www.psui.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?defaction=search&keywords=trg36

TRG36A12-21A02 30W Energy Star Compliant 12V@2.5A Desktop Adapter - Cincon

16-00601-00 power cord

I'll try to add datasheets to this post after I check them out. Some things to be considered: I don't know what kind of filtering is available in the Sonic Impact and I don't know how they have implemented turn-on mute. There may be interaction with a supply that has to be worked out. In my P6D for example, The large output power capacitors were so big they looked like a short circuit at turn on so I had to build in a soft start. That's why the P6D had a delay when turning on followed by a click. I also did some tweaking of the mute, but can't remember exactly what was involved. Anyway . .I'll get the datasheets on the supply.

Leo

adapterpartno.pdf

I can't seem to enter line feeds so for clarity I'm adding this post. I didn't download the datasheet because it was too big. I did download some info on connectors. It's the attachment in my previous post. I don't know what the Sonic Impact uses, but the attachment shows there are lots of options. Take a look at the web site I listed, also in my previous post, for info on the stock connector. The datasheet can also be accessed from that website.

Aren't power supplies fun?

Leo

Hi Chris, Good to hear from you. I hope life on the island is treating you well. Leo

Thanks for the well-wishes! I hope you're doing well too.

I've actually moved to Dallas and am working for a small, high voltage power supply company. Carrie and Jack are still in Hilton Head finishing up his school year and working on selling the house. Hopefully they'll be able to join me here in Dallas by late spring.

We're fine otherwise. I sold the company in November and decided to go back to company life. It's nice being back :)

Thanks for the Sonic Impact info ...

Chris

Hi Chris,

Wow! Dallas. OK. Well it sounds like Dallas is working out, and I'm sure a lot better when Carrie and Jack are there.

You do have a sonic impact and we tried it here. Please let people here know how the power supply works out. If you have any issues let me know .. I've probably seen them. It's not that the application is all that difficult, there are just several variables to supply matching. Don't forget to order the power cord.

Leo