PCM question

Youthman

• Moderators

I bought a new CD (Jeremy Camp Live). It is a CD/DVD combo. When I insert the DVD, I hear music on the menu screen but when I play the concert, no sound is heard and my HK AVR55 shows English PCM. I have my Sony RDR-GX330 DVD Recorder/DVD player hooked up to the HK via Digital Coax. Even when I switch to stereo, no sound is heard.

On the back of my DVD player, it says "PCM/DTS/Dolby Digital" next to the the Digital Coax output.

I went into the audio settings on the DVD player and changed the Digital Coax setting from Dolby Digital to D-PCM but that did not work.

I can get it to play in Dolby Prologic (blah) and in 3 Channel Stereo. It will not play in Stereo either.

What am I missing here? Do I have to hook up the Analog RCA Out as well as the Digital Coax?

what emblems are on the DVD or the packaging? like Dolby Digital, DTS etc...

Can you try a movie that you know has Dolby Digital 5.1 surround and see if that works, then don't change any settings and try the Camp DVD...

Oh, now I see you switched DVD player output from Dolby Digital to PCM, why did you do that? You should switch it back and it should play Dolby Digital 48 KHz.

Kimball

• Moderators

what emblems are on the DVD or the packaging? like Dolby Digital, DTS etc...

That was one of the first things I checked. Nothing is on the DVD.

Can you try a movie that you know has Dolby Digital 5.1 surround and see if that works, then don't change any settings and try the Camp DVD...

DD works fine for other dvds.

Oh, now I see you switched DVD player output from Dolby Digital to PCM, why did you do that? You should switch it back and it should play Dolby Digital 48 KHz.

That was a last resort. Sound was not working so since the receiver said PCM, I changed the audio setting on the dvd player from DD to PCM but that didn't work either.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anything else you think I could try?

I saw a review where someone claimed a weakness of the AVR55 was that it did not support the DTS format. That has to be it, the disk is DTS and the receiver doesn't understand it.

With the disk playing and you not getting any output, is there an "Audio" button or something like that on the remote that allows you to pick between the different audio formats? On my players, you hit the audio button, then either press the audio button or the up/down arrows to cycle through the various audio tracks. does this work?

• Moderators

what are the audio options in the setup menu of the Camp DVD?

Sadly enough, none. Only has Play Concert, Song Selection and Extras. Extras just has a music video.

Does your receiver support DTS?

No, it is Dolby Digital only.

The disk must be DTS or some sort of high bitrate DVD-Audio, but I didn't see anything about DVD-Audio when I searched about the cd/dvd combo.

I looked in the CD Jacket and there is no mention of the encoding there either.

• Moderators

With the disk playing and you not getting any output, is there an "Audio" button or something like that on the remote that allows you to pick between the different audio formats? On my players, you hit the audio button, then either press the audio button or the up/down arrows to cycle through the various audio tracks. does this work?

Tried that too. I have another concert DVD that I can switch from Dolby Digital to Dolby Stereo. The Jeremy Camp DVD must only have one audio encoding. maybe it is DTS. Neither the DVD player nor the receiver has Multi-Channel Outputs so I cannot use the DTS encoder in my DVD player. If it is a DTS issue, I just may have to enjoy the CD for now until I upgrade my receiver.

• Moderators

someone claimed a weakness of the AVR55 was that it did not support the DTS format

Do the DVD player & the AVR both have to decode dts?

From what I have been told here in the forum, no. I could use the DTS decoder in my DVD player if it had Multi-channel outputs and my receiver had multi-channel inputs. For some reason, the DTS decoder in the DVD player cannot send it through digital coax or Toslink to the receiver already decoded.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I just brought home a mint condition (but used) Onkyo TX-SR703 receiver that has DTS decoding. The DVD works like a champ. It shows on the receiver that it is playing in PCM format. I guess my HK did not have a PCM decoder. All is well. Just thought I would give an update that my problem is now resolved.

Let's backup. Do we know what PCM is? Pulse Code Modulation- in simple terms, its very good quality stereo recording on a DVD. There must surely be some other audio track there that can be decoded somehow.

It takes a lot of space on a DVD, therefore it's almost never used for 5.1 tracks because it wouldn't fit.

This from Wiki "However, straight PCM is not typically used for video in standard definition consumer applications such as DVD or DVR because the bit rate required is far too high."

Have you tried hitting the Audio or Language button on your DVD player to access the different recording methods?

• Moderators

Colter, the DVD is 106 minutes for the main concert with 11 songs on the DVD. There is no other audio option on the DVD. When it starts, on my TV it displays English PCM 48Khz 16bit. I can cycle through all of the different sound processings (Neo, Stereo, Pure Audio etc and it always has PCM lit up on the receiver. Maybe it's not a 5.1 DVD. When I hit the audio button on my DVD remote, nothing changes. On my other concert DVD's it will cycle through from say Stereo to Dolby Digital. Could they have just recorded it as a stereo DVD?