Question for the tube experts

bigdnfay

It should be able to be restored as a nice little amp. I would personally find a different one to restore...it appears that the whole topside has been coated in a silver paint. Before I sank alot of money into it with a restoration, I would want to know if the transformers were rusting on the plates...the paint makes that very difficult to see. I suspect they were rusty which is why they got sprayed to begin with. Plus I think the silver paint makes it look a bit cheesy.

I used to do lots of these "rescued from the curb" type of restorations but I don't anymore...you almost always end up with too much parts and labor in these and they just don't command that much from the market.

My two cents, look for a really nice unsprayed unit that's been pulled out of an old stereo console and someone else has already done the work...I've got several of these for under 200 bucks and they are absolutely terrific.

The only time I would depart from the above advise if there is a sentimental attachment "with a story". For example, if this came from my favorite Uncles Hammond B-3 and I wanted a cool momento from that relationship.

Best of luck.

What makes you think that 6V6 tone cabinet amp has been painted silver? Look at it again, that's the stock look I'm thinkin'...

Why would someone paint it crummy silver and then go throught the trouble silk screening all the part numbers on the transformers and chassis? And it says H.I. Co. right on the PS transformer. Hammond Instruments?

They (Hammond/Webster?) paint the laminations on the transformers so they won't rust.....

It's like a parallel push-pull, or two push-pulls in one amplifier. The tone cabinets were a two-way set-up. The amp is built with a high and low pass section. A bi-amp in one amplifier kind of thing.

I's mono. So for stereo a guy could make a left and right two-way mono bi-amp set-up. (Modding the amplifier for the purpose.)

I got 4 ot 5 of those tone cabinet amplifiers. They go for around 50 bucks. I doubt one could find a beefy PS transformer like that in this day in age for 50 bucks....