Upgrade advice for older KG system

richpjr

I had my family room setup with a pair of KG4.5s for the front, KV3 for the center, a pair of in ceiling Klipsch speakers who's model escapes me (I'm posting this from work), and an SW-12 II subwoofer. I had a Pioneer Elite TSX-26 driving the system and a 46" rear projection TV. The speakers are obviously older, but I have been happy with the sound from them. I use it mostly for home theatre and occasional music. Everything fit perfectly into a media niche and life was good. Then the TV died and has started a chain reaction.

I replaced the dead TV with a 52" Sony XBR4. Now the KG4.5s don't fit in the media niche with the TV. I had a pair of older KG1.5s that at one time were my surround sound speakers so I have temporarily stuck them in the niche for my mains. Of course nothing I had would feed an HDMI source on my TV so I replaced the Pioneer Elite receiver with an Onkyo 805. I also picked up an HD-DVD player (a month before they folded - argh!) and hooked up my cable box through the receiver. Soon I'll add a PS3 to the mix for BluRay.

Anyway, the KG1.5's need to be replaced but I have killed the space in the media niche with the bigger TV. I now need to go with bookshelf speakers. I was looking at the RB61, or 81s for the main speakers. A local store carries the RB51 and 61, but nobody near me carries the 81s. What are peoples thoughts on those? What about the center speaker? Does a KV3 have a similar sound to the RBs? Or should I replace it with a an RC-52 (an RC-62 won't fit in the media niche)?

I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

You'll definitely want your center channel to be from the same series as your other speakers. The RC-52 would be a great choice with the current RB series bookshelf speakers. The 51 or 61 bookshelves will be a better match to the RC-52 center speaker than the 81s will.