Onkyo TX-SR705 or Denon AVR2308CI??

chef13007

All right, so based on some of your recommendations, I went with the following speakers for a 7.1 setup:

Center: RC-52
L/R: RB-61
Rear Surround: RB-61
Side Surround: RS-42
Sub: RW-12D

So now I've been researching receivers, and am looking to stay around this $600ish mark. The Onkyo's been looking pretty good to me, but I don't know too much about the Denon that I'm comparing it with. The only big difference that I see is that the Onkyo has an additional HDMI input. Anyone have any suggestions or reasons to go one way or the other?

Thanks,
Seth

I have owned an Onkyo TX-SR705 since August 07. Very pleased with product. IMO "best bang for the buck". Sounds great with my RVX-42 system. Onkyo has rep for being bright sounding when paired with Klipsch speakers, but with equilizer settings and crossovers adjusted properly, that all can be eliminated. In most places, the Onkyo comes in less expensive than the Denon(most on forum say sounds great with Klipsch) and with a few more features. I personally have no experience with Denon. Here is a link to a side by side comparison.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=10420&s=0&c=4&cc=01&compareItems=580TXS705B&compareItems=033AV2308C

No big adjustments at all. Ran the Audyssey setup that is available with the 705. Only regret is that this model does not have the Audyssey Pro capability. Had I known I probably would have gone to the 885, but it is much more expensive that the 705.

I may sell my 705 and get either the 885 or the 905 or maybe wait for a newer Onkyo AVR.

I really love the speakers. No complaints at all. I am glad I bought them. Hope this helps.

Don't know about the lower models, but I did test the Onkyo 905. The Denon 4308 ran circles around the Onkyo in terms of sound quality and video quality. I highly recommend that you go to Frys or Circuit City and get the Onkyo and test it. Then go to BB and get the Denon and test that. You'll need to give the second unit a fair test, since you will probably be a little biased to the first product that you test. Then make your own decision. I posted all my findings here http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/99853.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

matnick and coolflea, have you guys had any problems with a/v sync? i've been reading around and it seems like you either do or don't, and it seems like the problem, if there really is one, is in all of the onkyo x05 models. i'm planning on ordering tomorrow if possible.

Thanks!