power amp recommendations requested

Daddy Dee

We've gotten excellent advice and help recently in designing a church fellowship hall PA project. Tony Reed is building a pair of mains and pair of monitors which will use the Eminence Beta 12 woofer and K-65 HF. The cabs will be close to Heresy size.

Now we're ready to make selections for the rack mount gear and are wondering about power amp choices.

The room is not large, 65'L 35'W and ceiling ht of 11'.

Two amps which both seem well regarded and work in our budget:

QSC RMX 1450

Crown Xti 1000

Comments, other recs?

Am I correct in thinking that with the Crown one channel could be used for sub duty dialing in signal below say 70hz? Of course, if we end up using subs that would mean adding a second amp solution in order to run the mains and monitors on seperate channels.

If thinking about subs, apart from the Crown, what other sort of solutions would there be to running only low frequency signal to the subs? A passive low pass filter?

Are you buying 2 amps? It seems like the Crown and QSC amps you're looking at are in 2 different leagues.I thought the RMX series was in the same class as the Crown XLS's. The XTI would be closer to the PLX2 series if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. If you can use a Crown XLS402D, PM me.

To start with, we've just got one amp in the budget. The thought about a second amp would be for the future, if we wanted to use mains, monitors, and sub simultaneously. To begin with, our PA needs will be met in a pretty good way just with mains and monitors. The sub would be for movie night.

I've used the QSC RMX 1450 in a previous setup, but it had Bose 802's for mains and monitors. It sounded good, but of course, they aren't as resolving as Klipsch.

Some posting in other threads has made the point that the Crown Xti is noticeably ahead of the XLS in addition to the crossover and delay circuitry.