Grills to dye for

greg928gts

I bet the spray paint that Mr. Paint (Michael Hurd) turned me on to would work. It's SEM brand, rather expensive ($10 can US), but it's for repainting the vinyl tops on autos. Therefore it is very thin with excellent adhesion, and flexible.

Here's a link to the type he suggested. I've used it to revive sun faded woofer cones on Industrial products.

http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=190

I bet the spray paint that Mr. Paint (Michael Hurd) turned me on to would work. It's SEM brand, rather expensive ($10 can US), but it's for repainting the vinyl tops on autos. Therefore it is very thin with excellent adhesion, and flexible.

Here's a link to the type he suggested. I've used it to revive sun faded woofer cones on Industrial products.

http://www.sem.ws/product.php?product_id=190

Well then, I might not write off the idea just yet. Lots of colors and probably some UV protection. LOL

I've used the Rit dye in a very similar manner before and it worked very well. I was Restoring a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 and the door panels were very nice except for the black carpet strip at the bottom. It was very faded and grey looking. I used the same Rit liquid dye as Greg, but in black. I cut it with water so it was very thin, and poured it into the cup on my touch up HVLP paint gun. I taped off the vinyl area and put several light coats on the carpet. I didn't soak it and rinse it like greg, but just severl light coats with drying time in between. The results were excellent, so it stands to reason that it would also work well in Greg's situation. I wish I would have known you were changing green grills to brown. I have a pair of those green grills on walnut Cornwalls, that I really love. My wife even likes the green color! I would love to have another pair of those green grills. I also have a pair of oak oil Corns with brown grills, just like in your picture. I would have gladly traded them for green. Those oak and brown Corns look reallly nice, I honestly don't care for the color combo on mine , but it looks great on yours. Thanx for sharing the great info with us!

Jeremy