Matched OK?

craigtone

OK, I have a set of RF-7's as my front mains for my 2-channel setup driven by a highly modified Dynaco ST-70. We just moved into a new house and I want to better match my RF-7's for surround because my Synergy center and rears sound terrible now! I was thinking of using an RC52 center, RSX-3 surrounds and an RSW-12 sub. I know the center and surrounds are small compared to the RF-7's, but I need to consider the wife-acceptance factor here! LOL! I am pushing my luck with the RF-7's as it is!

Will these small speakers be a huge mismatch? The problem I have with the Synergy components I already have is the harshness of the horn (vs. Reference). It draws too much attention to the Synergy speakers and becomes quite distracting when watching movies. I also only plan on using the surround setup for movies, no multi-channel audio FWIW.

My goal is quality over quantity!

FYI - TV is the new 80-series Panasonic 42" Plasma and receiver is the Marantz SR4002.

My 2-channel audio system is a Rega P3-24 w/Denon DL-103 cartridge -> modified Rotel phono -> Luminous Axiom passive pre -> modified ST-70 -> RF'7's. I also have a modified NAD-C521BEE for digital ... BLECH!

As much as size is a factor you also need to consider matching the sound of your existing speakers. This is known as "timber" (pronounced tAmber) which allows the sound to be consistant as it moves across the soundstage. The horn in the RC7 is the same horn as in the RF7 and therefore would be the best match. Keep in mind also that MOST of the information while watching movies comes from your center channel so that is a very important speaker.

If you can possibly stick with the "XX-7" line-up that would be your best bet. I hear that RC7's are becoming pretty difficult to find, though. Don't know about the RS7's.

Good luck.