Mackie VLZ3-402 in the garage system......

G.Kennedy

So some of you have seen my garage system .... a pair of KP201's running off a pair of 125w Marantz monos. I was just using an ipod as souce AND preamp volume control using just the headphone output ... Don't laugh .... it actually worked OK.

But look at my new sweetness ... New from Mackie $100. I am now able to use the line level out of the Ipod ... into the mixer and boost the signal level perfectly before feeding the Marantz. It is marketed as a ...home recording/coffee shop gigging/AV editing mixer ... they pretty much say that anything from mic's to electric guitars to line sources plug directly in. All steel .... it a little brick ... very substantial feel.... road worthy for sure.

I am no audiophile ... and the Ipod is running AAC's ... so just a few comments on sound, with out getting too critical. Dead Silent ... no hiss at all. Way more extension on the low end (but thats comparing to the Ipod headphone out ... of course.)

It has the ability to use channel 1 and 2 ... line in(1/4 phono) or Mic pre amp (xlr) with adjustable gain, 2 band EQ and (another) adjustable level.

Channel 3/4 combined stereo (1/4 phono) which has a level adjustment.

Tape In (rca) combined stereo , with adjustable levels.

Main Out (1/4 phono) and Tape Out (rca).

Currently I am using the channel 3/4 in and main out ... although I have tried all the other combinations and they all work perfectly. The gain boost on channels 3/4 is great ... Channel 1 and 2 have even more gain available ... but i just don't need it..... it makes the volume knob work in the first quarter turn.

This thing seems awesome ... certainly has given me a ton of boost out of my Ipod ... these KP201's are really crankin now !!!! Not sure that you want to use it in you #1 system ... but it solved my problem perfectly. Check it out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am familiar with Behringers DJ mixers and they really are not considered sturdy by anyones standards. I am not familiar with Behringers pro stuff, I bet it is real nice ... and I didn't even consider it because of the low quality DJ stuff. I feel Mackie uses some quality parts .... although at this level who knows. Mackie did also enter the DJ mixer market and their stuff, on a quality control level ... is getting great reveiws.

I am not really going to use the tone controls too much ... thats why I am using the 3/4 combined ... things get bumped in the garage .. trying to keep the input control adjustments to a minimum.

Really... all I needed was a two channel pre amp, with a good solid gain adjustment in a chassis with a very small footprint. Everything else this has is overkill for me. Nice to hear what the KP201's are really capable of !!!

How loud are things with the knobs in the position shown in the picture?

Using the Line in 3-4 and setting the knob at 9:00 and setting the Main Mix volume at 9:00 I would say it is just over the volume were you could carry a conversation with some one else in the garage .. probably 10' away. I seem to set it at that level .. then adjust from there depending on who is home and time of day. any one walking past on the sidewalk definately look toward the garage ... so it carries a bit.

If I have the Line in 3-4 knob at 12:00 and edge the Main Mix to 2:00, it is dangerously loud in the garage ... and still very loud across the street, I would say at 50'.

In this position .... the green LED's are lighting to just under the yellow clipping LED's.

I guess I bring it up because it's been my experience with Mackie mixers that their sweet spot is when you've got the gains sitting at Unity. Maybe try turning down the volume knob on the amps a bit?

I also wonder if you wouldn't have a better gain stage by running the iPod into the tape input. All you'd have to do is set the tape knob switch to route to the main mix.

Well ... There are no volume knobs on the Marantz ... you can see them on the shelf above in the wide shot. I did try the ipod into the Tape In rcs'a ... and used the Tape Level and the Main Mix levels .... pretty much identical settings as when using 3-4. I chose to use the Line in 3-4 because it eliminates the signal going through the Tape In Switch. Using 3-4 seems like the "fastest" way through the mixer ... as far as signal path goes.

Unity on all the levels knobs is at 12:00 ..... the thing is absolutley screaming if I put eveyrthing at Unity.

Originally, I thought (due to feeble Ipod output) I was going to need to use Channel 1 and 2 .... add gain before the EQ and keep the Channel 1 and 2 Level at Unity. This has the Main Mix level VERY active below 1/4 turn.

Seems like a very hot mixer. I will go try the Tape in/Tape out configuration again .... just to make sure ..

Just tried Tape In/ Tape Out ... pretty close to the same settings as far as knobs go ... Unity on the Tape Level gives a very sensative Main Mix. Looked at he manual ... Tape In levels actually have a higher gain +24db than the 3-4 levels at +22db, when at maximum

9:00 on the 3-4 levels lets me use the Main Mix from 8:00 to 12:00 ... Which is great ... if I want to let the neighbors listen ... Unity for all +++

Here is the amps I am using....125w per channel.

Posted Image

Well that's a bummer the Marantz's don't have a volume knob on them. You're probably best off the way you have it. You could always turn down the iPod, but the iPod sounds better with the volume cranking (better saturation of the internal DAC).

It's probably not a super big deal anyway - I just get nervous when there is so much gain available - good thing they're knobs and not sliders...less chance of bumping it up for your neighbors [;)]

These little mixers are also great for bumping the subwoofer output from your receiver when using pro-amps to drive your subwoofers.

I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ for my big board, and have been looking for a little mixer for a couple mics and couple lines. But I need to have tone controls for my sources. We have a couple little B's around the shop for occasional use and they're quiet enough for occasional use. Maybe I'll look into the Mackie minis though. Is yours dead quiet with gain at unity and no source on?

...... You could always turn down the iPod, but the iPod sounds better with the volume cranking (better saturation of the internal DAC).

I am using line out of the Ipods dock connector, so no volume control there either ... thats the main reason for the mixer ... to be able to use line out of the Ipod .... eliminating the crappy internal amp.

Colter ... yes dead quite with the amps on .. all levels at Unity .. Ipod plugged in , but paused.

Michael,

Have a look at the 802VLZ3 - it still has the rotary pots, but ups the ante to 3 mic inputs, and has 3 band eq on each input. The only downside is it costs twice as much as the 402.

I would love something smaller than what I have, to toss in a gigbag and carry around with me. I still have my old Peavey Mark IV in its flight case. A great rock and roll mixer, a 16/4/2 Alesis and a Soundcraft Spirit SX 20/2.

Bruce