Fear of Storage in Vinyl and Laquer Land

Lonelobo

I am a vinylholic. There...I said it. Laquer and shellac collecting are not far off I fear. While at a Dallas collector/dealer's house recently I noticed that he did not store his vinyl as do I. His method is to store the lp out of its jacket. The normal outer sleeve opens at the top, and the inner sleeved lp is dropped in behind the jacket with the open end at a 90 degree angle to the top opening. This, he says keeps the seams of the jacket from splitting and in fact the jacket is almost never handled by doing this. Anybody have any thoughts about this?

I get 2.5 mil and 5 mil outer sleeves from sleevecity. The 2.5mil sleeves are cheaper and just fine for the vast majority of lp's. The 5mil sleeves are better suited for really thick double and triple album jackets as they are just ever so bigger. I started using the rounded bottom inner sleeves a few months ago and really like them so far as they slide in easier. I reserve the better inner sleeves for "special" albums, though I think that the effect is merely psychological.

Another thing I do is to get all the yellowing inner sleeves away from their original jackets. Acid in paper isn't good for anything, especially the jacket. If a yellowing inner sleeve is a design element of the package I will keep it in the jacket, but I don't like doing it.

So how do YOU store your vinyl?

I store the inner sleeve in the jacket with the opening facing up so the lp can't slip out accidentally, and a probaby irrational idea that less dust gets in this way. I'm careful with the jackets but don't worry about wear so much as think of them as protection for the vinyl.