tubes for my new khorns

jks20

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running the AE-3 DJH SuperPreamp with my Moondogs and I love the combination. I had tried a Cary SLP-74 also but I prefer the AE-3 hands down. The AE-3 is more transparent IMHO the SLP-74 sounded dark in my system. YMMV of course...

I did have that little problem with my AE-3 where the volume knob stopped at ~11:00 but that is fixed.

------------------

Ed W

The Audio Electronic Supply (AES) is a division or subsidiary of Cary. Dennis Had puts out the Super Amp AES , the Superpreamp, and the Superphono.

I bought the DJH version of the AE-3 Superpreamp at AudiogoN. I have not had many *good* preamps (VTL 2.5 and the Cary SLP-74) to make meaningful comparisons but this is my favorite preamp so far. The only thing it doesn't have is a phono section, but when I looked up the link to the website I found that they do have a phono section available (I am doing my best to resist getting into vinyl...).

In fact I really look forward to trying the AE-3 Superpreamp with a pair of Monarchy SM-70's Smile.gif (temporarily during those times when I have the Moondogs out of the system for one reason or another).

------------------

Ed W

Well, the T8 OTL is going to be EXTREMELY clean and transparent, almost to the point of erring on the side of clinical and hyper-detailed. I know an owner that had an T8 and actually preferred the T16 OTL he has now saying it was a tad more musical. In my interest in the T16, I talked to several friends that have had experience with both units. do know that OTL amps are known for the detail, sometimes at the expense of something I consider very important. BLOOM. Bloom is a noticable trait of great tube amps and something that the OTL amps from Rozenblit seem to be a tad short of. In light of this, I might try a more relaxed sounding tube preamp that exhibits a bit of soul. This probably calls for tube rectification and perhaps the use of 6SN7 or 6SL7 tubes which tend to excel in this area.

I would say mose of those in that list are very musical besides the White Labs... I have heard the Joule Electra LS100 MkIII and it is a VERY transparent preamp but lacks a bit in the musicality department but is damn good. It did go up against a preamp that was not on your list that was also the cheapest here and that is the Wright Sound WLA12a. I really have a lot of respect for this 6SN7 based preamp that is a hair over $800 with the Hovland Caps option. I think it's a very musical piece.

I think another good option might be the AES AE-3 DJH preamp as it is simple, has tube rectification, uses 6SN7 tubes, and has good components. It will respond well to tube rolling better NOS 6SN7 and 5692. The SF SFL2 is also a nice preamp but is more complex and probably a bit more colored. IT also covers the tubes!

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Thank you for your responses. I have never heard any of these and I'm glad mobile gave me some ideas. Mobile Homeless, considering my musical tastes and the amp which I have chosen, do you think the wright sound labs or the aes would be better for my application. I also want the pre to versitile, in that I can try many different amp combinations with it if I don't like the sound of the otl. I got it for a good price and figured I would give it a try. I didn't get alot of info on different amps except the otl8 and the moondogs, which I will eventually try when my musical tastes have changed. I open to any oponions on a preamp or amp in that matter that would suit me.