This guy claims to have built the first set of folded bass horns.......between 1972-1978

Corvette6769

To hear him tell it, Paul Klipsch was an amateur compared to this guy. My guess is that he was not even born yet when Paul patented the Klipschorn and Klipsch balancing network. Who needs an anechoic chamber when all you have to do is the math?
I knew amplifiers could be more powerful, but never knew that speakers could be. Note that he claims that his require 50 watts minimum. Klipsch Klipschorn speakers only require 1 watt.

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info

3 Custom Klipschorns - $4000

Reply to: sale-614926252@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-03-22, 1:59PM EDT

NO CASHIERS CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS

My name is Nicky Siano, and I am best known as the original DJ from Studio 54. In addition, I owned a club from 1972-1978 called THE GALLERY. Many considered the Gallery the template for all clubs which came after, certainly the Paradise Garage and Studio 54 bore uncanny resemblense to The Gallery, if you wish more info on that subject you can visit www.nickysiano.com. While owning and DJing at the Gallery I designed the first crossover to seperately control tweeters and bass horns. I built the first set of folded bass horns and many other club sound system designs. I worked with the best sound men, Alex Rosner and Richard Long. I learned sound not by ear, BUT BY MATH, because sound is all MATH. When I first heard KLIPSCHORN corner speakers, I immediately realized the unique design gave the speaker a far superior sound reproduction capability. But I did not like the sound of the tin horn that was used on the top end. Two years ago I had the oppurtunity to design and built my very own Klipschorns. The bottom was perfection, so I left everything about the low end exactly the same, accept I used heavier wood and a much better driver. I used a driver from 18 Sound, the 15ND930 a high power, high output, low frequency 15" woofer Neodymium transducer. I have pictured the speaker below and will add the specs later in the description. I was never happy with the top end sound of the original Klipschorns, so I designed an open sweeping cabinet which holds 2 8" 8CX21 BC sound coaxial transducer. These are all class A audio components, a much higher quality then Klipsch uses in there corner speakers. And if that wasn't enough, i crowned each of these magnificent sound birds with a JBL high frequency tweeter. And to put all the pieces in order, i added passive crossovers in each cabinet. My sound man Danny Proseda and measured the frequency response and we beat the 33Hz-17kHz range of the Klipschorn at both ends. Our speaker is more powerful, and more durable built for club use, highly efficent they can be driven with as little as 50 watts, but can handle as much as 150 watts. The speakers stand 4 ft 6 inches and weigh 275 pounds each. For club use we built rises to raise the top ends over peoples heads, they are included and add an additional 2 foot of height. Also included a re the high quality Belkin cables you see in the pictures. The pictures include a look into the back or the corner folded horn, a look at the door which opens to change the driver, a look at the top end sweeps without the scrim covering, and all three speakers set up as they were meant to be. It was designed to have a left, right and center channell, the center top a little larger and higher to compensate for sound levels. These speakers were meant to stand in corners, but can be used free standing if you wish to add wood corners onto the cabinet, which many people do. Yes, they might need a paint job if you wish them to look pristine, but again, these speakers were used a total of ten times, so they are practically new. You can pick them up, or I can ship them world wide, but shipping for these heavy cabinets is not cheap. Considering one Klipschorn costs $4000, you can have three for that price, so the large chunk of shipping still makes this auction a STEEL. I never wanted to sell these, but I can no longer store them in my home, and I do not wish to put them in a cold storage unit. Here are the driver specs.

BC Sound 8"
8CX21
Nominal Diameter 210 mm (8 in)
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Minimum Impedance 6.1 ohm (LF)
7.2 ohm (HF)
Frequency Range 75-20000 Hz
Dispersion Angle
100°
LF Unit
Sensitivity (1W/1m)
94 dB
Nominal Power Handling
200 W
Continuous Power Handling
400 W
Voice Coil Diameter 52 mm (2 in)
Winding Material Copper
HF Unit
Sensitivity (1W/1m)
101 dB
Nominal Power Handling
25 W
Continuous Power Handling
50 W
Voice Coil Diameter 36 mm (1.4 in)
Winding Material Aluminium
Diaphragm Material Mylar
Recom. Crossover
2.2 kHz

18 Sound Woofer
The 15ND930 is a high power, high output, low frequency woofer which meets the most stringent requirements in high quality professional transducers. The high level of performance and sound quality have been achieved by exploiting the most advanced technologies available today.
The neodymium magnet assembly developed by Eighteen Sound engineers assures high flux concentration, low power compression and excellent heat exchange, since the external magnet configuration is considerably more efficient than traditional under-pole magnet topology. This results in high levels of force factor and power handling with an optimum power to weight ratio.
The direct contact between the large heat sink and basket, together with the magnetic structure, represent a fundamental improvement in thermal connection and heat dissipation. Hence, power handling capabilities are increased and power compression lowered.
The deep profile curvilinear cone, created from a special high strength wood pulp, has been designed to achieve the best possible linearity within its frequency range. The cone surround, made from a linen material is highly resistant to aging and fatigue. The in-house developed cone treatment is a humidity repellent and significantly dampens bell mode resonances.
The 75mm edge-wound state-of-the-art voice coil assembly is wound on a strong fiberglass former to improve force transmission and power handling.
The already low distortion and sound quality are further improved by Double Demodulating Rings (DDR) that flatten impedance and phase with a constant power transfer.
Thanks to its versatility, the 15ND930 can be used in 2-way compact reflex enclosures with a 1.4" compression driver, in multiway systems and in high loading sub woofers as small as 70 lt (compact reflex, bandpass and horn loaded configurations).
A special coating applied to both the top and back plates makes the 15ND930 far more resistant to the corrosive effects of salts and oxidization.

I COULD NOT FIT ALL THE PICTURES, SO IF YOU ARE SERIOUSLY INTERESTED AND WISH TO SEE THE FULL SET OF PICS, E MAILS ME AND I WILL FORWARD THEM TO YOU.

0101110102090103092008032247f582a2801448 01010001150601160220080322b4ca5db3280166
01011101031001161120080322f68118909fa2d8 010210010308011601200803224c37842e0f4b7a
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 614926252

Copyright © 2008 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum