This is one theater toy worth having me thinks...

iXtreme

I have been pondering it for over 4 years now, and the thing that held me back was price I suppose? I had already set my theater up with 3 seperate dimmers controlling three rows of lights, but, I had to go over to the switch to adjust them manually. Now thats just too much work and does not look cool enough when firing up a flick to have to get up and adjust them manually...heh. Enter Lutron with their Spacer system. Perfect for one room adjustment of several light switches or more.... I got the system in white with the screwless wall plate. It actually looks somewhat like a piece of white HT gear when assembled with it's seamless design and LED's aglow. It was fairly costly for seemingly simple dimmers but after I finally took the plunge it was worth it. It has a remote with 4 "scenes" as Lutron calls them. I have one theme for movies which is lights almost off, one theme with the same movie dimmness but the row of lighting above the seats brighter to find missing M&M's and such, one theme for TV which is a slightly brighter version of the movie watching theme and one last theme which is all on at about 80% brightness. This I think is just a fabulous toy and really makes the cool factor in my room go up a notch or two. I just wanted to share my new toy with all of you. Thanks for reading and post your thoughts if you want, or, ask a question if you'd like too. I'm no expert in lighting but did learn alot trying out different dimmers and controls.

• Moderators

Cool toys are definitely fun and the lighting scenes adds to the coolness factor in any room, especially in the HT. How do you like your Harmony 1000? My dealer sells Harmony as well as a few others (Control4, Crestron, Nevo...). The Harmony 1000 looks pretty sweet but I have never actually used it. Just wondering about it's functionality, pros/cons.

iXtreme: I could not agree with you more; an automated dimming system is an essential conderation for anyone planning a serious venture into Home Theater! There are numerous systems out there with enormous flexibility and in all budget ranges. I found the Lightolier system I installed to be quite affordable and simple to install. It's also X-10 compliant. I like the minimalist design of the control panel as it can be installed into a standard one-gang wall box. The controller is simple for anyone to understand and works with any programmable remote such as my Phillips Pronto. My system is comprised of 10 indivdual zones and dimming times can be independantly set from a little as 1.5 seconds up to 2 hours! I have most of my lights set for "Cinema" and they dial down over a 30-second time period; about the same as the local movie houses. Visitors to our little theater often remark the effect is "Just like a real theater!". I have 4 "scenes" programmed into our controller and that's all about I really need. They are "Clean-up", "Entertain", "Dance" and "Cinema". There is also an "All-On" and "All-Off" button and and all up/down dimming rocker. Each individual zone also has it's own dimming rocker (two zones are shown to the left of the contoller below) in various locations around the room. Two zones control the lighting in the stairway that comes down into our theater. One dims the stair's overhead lights, while the other controls hidden rope lights I installed beneath the handrail that indirectly illuminates the steps for safety so guests can use the stairs during a movie. There is also an controlled, non-dimming on and off switch that turns our slot machine on and off. The system is definitely the only way to go!. Have fun! -Glenn

post-10177-1381936684937_thumb.jpg

Youthman, in response to your question. Do I like my Harmony remote? There seem to be a fair number of people who do not like theirs but after a simple programming of mine out of the box it has worked flawlessly controlling 5 activities for me. It's a little slow to signal my Xbox 360 but it's not a big deal since all I need is power on and off. I'd buy it again knowing what I do now. It's very customizable and I've really only begun to dig into it's abilities. I also have a Harmony 659 which I love to death because of it's cheap price and very high quality build. Stands up to the wife and chihuahua's no problem... hehehe.

Picky, sounds like you're a fair but more complex then my setup but these dimmers sure do give the HT a real theater feel. I like the way they look with the screwless wall plate too. Kind of like a piece of HT gear. Your theather is looking great to.... nice work, wish I had a bar in my HT.

Excellent review! And I agree too!

I did the Lutron Grafik Eye in my HT.

http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/page.aspx?id=8141

I was a little skeptical, but the ease of use and buying a expensive system like this does merit the enjoyment factor!

So,,,

YES, YES, YES,... As I sit on the HT seats and be through the remote also control the mood of the HT it is just awesome! The fade in / out feature is just ultra cool!

I highly recommend this unit!

That is one big and expensive theater I'd bet. It dosen't take long for things to add up though... ever stop to add up real retail of the things you've got? I did and it blew me away at what I've spent in the last 3 years. It still isn't my definition of "perfect" but it never will be I suppose.... I know I love-love-love Klipsch and it totally blows away my old Cerwin Vega set up.

Guy habits are very costly it seems.

ever stop to add up real retail of the things you've got? I did and it blew me away at what I've spent in the last 3 years.

Nope.. Might make me nervous..

A lot of it was used..In my case I drove from Indy to Cleveland, OH and Miami, FL just for speakers.. Did some trade out work for the Sunfire.. I love deals...

As for perfect... well a Runco projector with anamorphic lens shift and a 120" stewart masking screen for true cinema looks.. at what 80k plus.. That's a good start! hahahahahaha

As for sound?? It changes a lot every few years... format wise...

The thing is.. And I am really serious here too... I am really happy with what I have right this min. Maybe the true HD or blue ray thing is in my future.. But it is not burning a hole in my pocket every min of my life. I enjoy what I have now...AND we use the HT all the time.

Guy habits are very costly it seems.<<< Yes, ALL of them! hehehehehehe