Forte II Passive Radiator

Boosted

Not sure if I'm posting this in the proper section since I am new to the site, but here goes...I purchased a used set of Forte II speakers and during the shipping process, one of the passive radiators was punctured, about the size of a silver dollar. I am wondering the best way to go about reparing/replacing this. Are new parts still available? Is the cone replaceable? Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks

I recommend the do-it-yourself option first; if it doesn't work for some reason, you can still look for a replacement PR. The cigarette (rolling) paper idea seems good. Take the speaker out of the cabinet (it's passive, so there are no connections inside) and use white glue and the papers to seal up the hole from back and/or front. It doesn't need to look good, as it will be in the back of the cabinet anyway. All that matters is that the hole is fully sealed so that no air comes out. The passive radiator simply uses some of the back pressure from the active woofer to provide a little bit of bass extension. It's not like it will be throbbing in and out several inches like some competition car sub, it just vibrates a little in normal operation.

[Cheech Marin voice]

"rice papers, you mean like Tops or Zig-Zag? , yeah man I got some of those around here somewhere..." [:^)]

--actual classic call from Tech Support

But that's how you do it. You need strength without mass. A couple of layers of good white glue (Weldbond is great) and some strong paper on the back side will fix most tears in passives so long as you have all the original material. I've seen some great jobs done on tears quite large. Richard is right, you just need to seal the cone and make it rattle-proof.

We do have some of the passives but they aren't inexpensive.