How to effectively strip cartridge wire?

whamo

Hey all, while attempting to change my cartridge I grabbed the terminal in the wrong spot and tore the wire out. I was using hemostats too. I guess I should get some glasses. Well anyways how do you strip the cloth insulation from that tiny little wire? Many moons ago I did the same thing and I burned the insulation off. But that was someone elses TT. I want to do it right.Thanx in advance. Mark

It's very touchy, and obviously you don't want to cut the wire itself or you may make it too short. I don't claim my way is special or expert, but I take a VERY sharp knife that will easily cut through the insulation, and saw VERY gently -- so as to cut through only the insulation, not the wire -- in about 4 to 6 places to complete a circle around the circumference so you can separate a segment from the rest of the insulation. Then, I use my fingernails to pull gently on the (hopefully) freed-up segment to pull it away. I think I have more control that way than with a hemostat.

I would't try to burn it off. You might burn up the wire instead (I've done it).

Good luck....