New "Freebies" for your pleasure (I hope) Pt 1

Mallette

The things college kids do to the school's organs...sheesh!

IIRC, one of the employees of the organ servicing firm my dad used to work for told him awhile back that in the '70s he was called on a job to work on one of the old Moller 4-rank practice unit organs there at the Hartt School of Music at the University of Hartford (CT)...seems there were quite a few dead notes and the students couldn't practice on it. He shows up after hours to do the repairs only to find many of the high notes wheezing or not speaking at all. Once inside the cabinet (the entire organ is exposed on a single 4-rank windchest) he quickly discovered the small pipes on up to 2' lengths were stuffed with condoms!

For all you purists, please note the NAIM recording label. They specialize in 2 mic direct to analog(Nagra Stereo), then to the cutting lathe...lps. I did just get a remarkable CD on the NAIM label titled, "Heartplay" which is a duet of Guitar(Antonio Forcione) and Double Bass (Charlie Haden). I'm assuming this was recorded with minimal gear as well. This is a combo I am not used to hearing together, so it took a couple of cuts to start sinking in. But oh, mein Gott, the double bass, thumping and buzzing just like they do in real sessions is incredible. If you have a few spare ducats I recommend getting it as it will test your system nicely.