RF-35 Upgrade "To upgrade or not to upgrade"

wsu99999

I have a set of RF-35's, RC-62, and RS-62's. The RF-35's are ran via a Adcom GFA-555 (200wpc) and the rest are running off a HK AVR-745. I do enjoy the sound from the RF-35, but I am kinda one of those people that is constantly upgrading stuff. I came across a set of RF-5's for 500 bucks which seems extremely cheap. Do the RF-5's offer a significant upgrade from the RF-35s? What about the RF-82's? I have read on here through most threads that say the 82's and 5's definately sound better when listened to side by side, but would it be worth it to actually upgrade?

If the 82's and 5's aren't a significant step up, would I then have to go to the RF-7 or 63/83 series? Should I make the jump to heritage? If possible, I would like to keep the RS62s/RC62 as I am completely happy with all 3 speakers, it's just my mains that need a bit more. Anyone have any thoughts?

Your RC-62 is rated at 98dB sensitivity, and should be a good match for your RF-35s that have the same sensitivity. I go to www.AudioReview.com to check reviews from owners on Audio often. The I was interested in a pair of RF-5s a while back as a match for the system I put together for my parents, but at 99 dB sensitivity, you aren't gaining a whole lot to upgrade to the RF-5s, and the reviews are mediocre for Klipsch products at best. The RF-7s have much better ranking amoungst owner than the 5s, but at 102 dB sensitivity, they are alot louder than your other speakers and you would have to dial them back for propper surround sound, but they would be a much better choice for when you wanted to listen in 2 channel to music. To give you a better understanding, it takes twice as much power to increase a speakers output by 3 dB, so it would take more than twice as much power for your RF-35s to sound as loud as the RF-7s. Since your speakers put out 98 dB at 1 watt, they would put out 101 dB at 2 watts and 104 dB at 4 watts, and 107 dB at 8 watts. In essence, if your speaker had not already reached their peak output well before your systems wattage ran out, your RF-35s would not make as much sound at 200 watts per channel as the RF-7s will at less than 100 watts per channel. At 2 watts your speakers make less sound than the 7s do at 1 watt. For a further comparison, your RF-35s take 4 watts to make the same volume my corner horns do at 1 watt.

It is your descission, your money, if you like to crank it in stereo, I say pass up the 5s and opt for the 7s.

If you listen to more surround sound/movies, and you want a better sounding speaker, more then just a louder speaker, if that is more important to you then your speakers matching cosmetically, I would advise you to go Heritage and buy a set of Forte IIs. The Forte IIs are rated at 99 dB sensitivity, so the same as the RF-5s, or a little more than your RF-35s, BUT, the Forte and Forte IIs are the highest rated speaker that Klipsch has made for home use in its any of all of their line-ups, including surpassing K-Horns, LaScalas, Belles, CornWalls, and Heresys. If the sound is more important than the volume, I suggest going for a set of these, but you will need corner placement to optimise you Bass, an a little room to pull them out from the corners for the passive radiators to optimise their Bass output.

Hope this gives you some food for thought before spending your money. Let us know how it all works out for you...Roger

Guest srobak

I have RF35s, RC62, RS42 all run off an HK AVR 645, and it is a great setup. No problems or complaints, and a very full and smooth sound. If you end up replacing the 35's drop me a line, as I will add them to my setup :)

Wow, so the Forte II's are really the highest rated Klipsch speaker in sound quality? I've never heard this. Would they match the reference lineup surrounds and center or would I have to replace everything? Also, If the Forte IIs are better than khorns or the rest of the heritige lineup, then why don't more people go after them, and why are they so much cheaper than the rest.

My personal feeling is that the Forte/Forte II represents one of the best values in a Klipsch speaker for what you can buy them for. Typically they sell for around $500 used. You are getting A LOT of speaker for that price. They are in a price range that makes them much easier to attain than Klipschorns, Belles, LaScalas, etc.