Current set up...need advice

Mudkicker

Hi

I currently have a pair of KG 2.5 up front, KV 2 center and RPW 10 Sub. I just got the sub and am very happy with it. No rears yet.

I find that the KV 2 can't really keep up with the KG 2.5's. I have a Marantz SR 4002, i set the center to small and set the center channel volume 3 dB higher thanthe fronts. It sounds GREAT but not as loud as the fronts. I even bought brand new woofers for it!

Now i am thinking of using the KV 2 as a rear center and buying either a KV3, KG 2.5V or KG 2.5 for front center.

Which would be the best choice?

Also, what are the major differences between the KG 2.5 and the KG 2.5V?

Thanks for any help.

Mud

• Moderators

Probably the best scenario would be to use identical LCR speakers so a KG 2.5 would be the perfect match. If you decide to go with the KV-3, I know where you can get one that is in like new condition. [;)]

If having the center speaker be the same as the fronts to get a "perfect match", then why did they even make the KV line for? why didnt they just take the KG and change the position of the badge so that it looks good when laying down on its side?

Mud

• Moderators

Good question. Most speaker manufacturers design a center channel speaker that is much smaller than the main speakers but use the same components (horn tweeter, crossover etc) because most people do not want to place a 4 foot high RF-83 as their center channel speaker. Same is probably true for all speaker lines. Most people are very limited as to how large the center channel can be. That is one reason why they went with four 6.5 in woofers in the RC-64 unlike it's predecessor the RC-7 that had two 8 inch woofers in it. It was just too big for most home applications.

The "v" speakers are magneticly shielded so that they can be placed close to a CRT without distorting the picture.

Some TV's are more affected than others and it is a function of the distance from the magnet to the CRT. I had a MGA sitting directly on top of a Cornwall for years with no adverse affects - but the same MGA is affected by a KG 4.5 standing beside it if it is less than 1.5 feet away. (Green hue in the area closest to the speaker.)

James

I dont think that it is the AVR, it is brand new and its the latest Marantz model.

Right now i am thinking that it may be the speaker wire. I am using 10ft of 12 gauge wire for the fronts and 15ft of 18 gauge for the center. i wonder if that would make an audible difference???

I just find that the center does not sound as "big" or as "full" as the fronts. The sound is good and clear....i just find that the fronts sound better.

Mud

the speaker wire size won't cause what you're hearing unless you're using 150 or more feet.

to properly set the level, you should have a SPL meter and use it with the test tone your receiver can make. you can get one for 15+ dollars at sears tool section or radio shack.

You said you set your center up 3 dB higher than the fronts, does it help to go higher?

If its not so much volume as fullness that you're after, you might just have to find another KG 2.5 or a KG-2.5V is you use a CRT based TV.

Kimball

the speaker wire size won't cause what you're hearing unless you're using 150 or more feet.

to properly set the level, you should have a SPL meter and use it with the test tone your receiver can make. you can get one for 15+ dollars at sears tool section or radio shack.

You said you set your center up 3 dB higher than the fronts, does it help to go higher?

If its not so much volume as fullness that you're after, you might just have to find another KG 2.5 or a KG-2.5V is you use a CRT based TV.

Kimball

Yes, at 3 dB higher, the center is just as loud and the fronts. However maybe you are right, its more a question of fullness than volume. I imagine that it is to be expected, the fronts have two 6.5" woofers, the center has two 5.25" woofers. the center is also almost half the size of the fronts. given all these facts, it would be impossibe for them to sound the same. am i right?

Mud

• 2 weeks later...

"Yes, at 3 dB higher, the center is just as loud and the fronts.
However maybe you are right, its more a question of fullness than
volume. I imagine that it is to be expected, the fronts have two 6.5"
woofers, the center has two 5.25" woofers. the center is also almost
half the size of the fronts. given all these facts, it would be
impossibe for them to sound the same. am i right?

Mud"

You are correct. They will also not sound the same due to the fact that the center channel is farther away from floor than the front channels. Each boundary ( IE: floor, wall, ceiling ) adds efficiency and also gives you a bit of help in the lower frequencies.