OT: new gear infected with malware

Daddy Dee

This has been an ongoing issue for quite a while. Many new devices are contaminated and most anti spyware is capable of detection and removal. However, Protection is a mostly defensive and after the fact manuever and some a..hole will keep trying to gain access for financial gain or a power trip.

How many "Super Villians" are just lurking and waiting for a chance for world dominance.

Harry

Yes, I have some good information that I will share. There was a huge security incident last year that did not get much press.

A major hard drive manufacturer had malware burned into hard drives bios. It was discovered when some of the hard drives spun up on government networks and started doing there dirty work. In the investigation it was uncovered that people working in the manufactures site in China, were doing this dirty work for the Chinese govt. These people altered the drives without the US manufacturers knowledge. I will not give the name of the manufacturer.

How do I know this? I use to work in government information security. There was a memo asking all agencies to inspect for these hard drives and imediately isolate. This information has been declasified, but not widely published.

How many of these hard drives found there way into Dell or other name brand computers and are out in our homes & businesses?

How much of our electronics are built in China? How much more of this is going on?

Personally - This scares the crap out of me.

JM

Guest srobak

What is the point of not saying who the manufacturer is, especially if it is a matter of public record - regardless how widely publicized?

I'll say it... MAXTOR... and the problem was far less widespread than DoD made it to be, having only actually been targeting Taiwan, not the US - though I do completely consider it a good thing that they immediately went into a full defensive posture. Here is a link to the story, from a reliable source...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=928