Installing the C-3 (in ear)

Coytee

First: I've never had any kind of ear buds of any kind. I just bought an Ipod and it's big round pieces are my only exposure.

Received my C-3's, plugged them into my new Ipod and stuck them into my ear. Things sounded good enough but I was curious if they were sounding the same as I'd auditioned while in Indianapolis last year. They seemed to be a bit bass shy.

Remembering the comments about the seal, I've been dinkering around with different tips (by the way, I think I ordered the wrong size for my free ones, any way to change that??)

My question...

To "properly" install them in SOME heads (realizing that some might be different than others?)

I had them in, using the double seal ear plugs (larger size). I was fiddling with the earpieces with my fingertips (gently) and USUALLY found that if I changed the direction of them or how deep they were, the sound simply disappeared.

Figuring the placement was very exacting, I've left them alone thinking that this is what they did.

Tonight I'm playing with them some more. I found that if I gently ...how to say this... put my fingertip on the top of the unit and (gently) pulled slightly down and out, the bass increased!! hmmmmmmmmmmm

fiddling about some more, I found that if I in essence, pulled them down (angling the ear thing upwards) I could in essence, push them in further as though my ear canal goes UP and not in as I'd thought.

Angling them UP created some more pressure in my ears, so I've moved down to the smaller ear tips (but I ordered the bigger pair).

This seems to be working for me and the bass is clearly better.

So, my basic question is, given my pathetic description, does it seem as though I've finally gotten the installation of them in my ears, correct?

With my mother being a nurse, I always had "don't put anything into your ears" pounded into me so I've got an innate hesitation on inserting these things in very far.

Yep, you've got it or are getting it now.

The ear canal does not go straight horizontally into the ear. For most people (but not all) it does angle up.

I find a great way to properly seat/install Custom Series earphones is to put them in the ear canal while leaving the fit wire unwrapped. This will let the shape of your ear canal be the sole determinant of the placement of the in-ear module. Then, while keeping the earpiece in its proper position, wrap the fitment wire around your ear so that it MAINTAINS the position of the earpiece.

Then, try backing the earpiece OUT just a bit. In my case, there are 2 spots that work. One is deeper than the other. The deep spot is not as comfortable as the less deep position and it doesn't seal as well.

I know all this seems tricky, but once you've got it, you know and it's easy to repeat time after time. The proper seal gives best bass and greatest comfort.

I'm sure I still need to adjust my Custom 2 some more....

Now, Coytee, I think yours may be a special case. I think Professor Thump and Dr Cochlea may have to get out their ear canal drill. I'll bring a couple of chisels and my 4 lb hammer to the Pilgrimage in case the drill doesn't get thigs right.

I'll bring a couple of chisels and my 4 lb hammer to the Pilgrimage in case the drill doesn't get thigs right.

I already beat you to it... I got out my 1/2" right angle drill and a Forstner bit...[:|] My wife was suggesting I not stop at the eardrum.... [:|]

Bob, something for you...

I was out cutting a field yesterday. I always wear hearing protection when I do that, one of these (Pro Ears II) http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-ro-hp-bfeece.html

Something I noticed yesterday after dinkering around with the ear pieces for a day... I think the stock pieces fit and seal my ears the best. I guess they're the mediums??

I had the tips without the skirts in and was liking the sound in the first part of the day. Since I was going to continue being on a loud (very) tractor, I thought I'd swap out the tips with the same tips with the additional skirt. hoping that extra skirt would help seal out more noise in addition to my Pro Ears.

I swapped them out, shoved them in and took off...

What I found out was the units with the extra skirts would NOT stay as firmly imbedded as the same unit with the single seal gasket. I don't know why that was but the entire time I had them in (under the PE II's), I found the left one specifically, cutting in/out as it would evidently move a bit in my ear and have the outlet hit skin or something...I had to...how to say... wiggle my ear to bring the sound back.

Although it was annoying while it was happening, I realized that somehow using the two together (extra skirts with my PE's) did not work as well as using the SINGLE seal with my PE's.

So, today, I'm heading back out but I now realize I simply need to swap eartips and it should be just fine.

I found that interesting how there was a slightly different intereaction (with the different tips) when using the PE's over the ears while the earphones were in the ears.

I use to use these Pro Ears for my music, now I'll just use them for attenuation.