Loud Pop from Sub during Explosive Movie Playback

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys,

Sometimes
during loud playback of a film, during an extreme explosion, I'll get a
loud pop from one of my RP-5 subs (Power 12" Sub Towers). The subs are connected via LFE Bass
and the volume is less than 1/2 level (more like 1/3) ... Only one of
the subs acts in this manor.

This is only noticable at louder playback (not crazy loud, but not "normal" tv type listening levels) and during extreme LFE frequencies/explosions ... Not all explosions make this happen, only some extreme jolts/frequencies ...

Anyone ever run into this type of issue? I've been running these subs for some time now (5 to 6 years) without this issue but over the past few months, it's become more noticable.

Maybe I've just driving these subs too hard with this H/K AVR 7300 over the past couple years, and I'm starting to see Clipping of the RP's amp or Bottoming of the woofers on all the new LFE crazed source material ...

Maybe the RP's amp is taking a dump!

What do you guys think?

Sounds like it's bottoming out. The sub driver is ported (I believe) and if you are feeding it a LFE signal, it's most likely unloading below the tuning frequency which I think is 25 Hz.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like it's time to get a dedicated sub and take the LFE track off the RP-5's.

If only one is having problems, maybe the best bet would be to swap the drivers ( easier than the amps ) and repeat the test. I am guessing that the level is a tad high. The input sensitivity on the plate amp might be slightly different. If the problem stays with one amp then you may have a problem with it. A call to Klipsch tech support might be your best bet after that.... 1-800-klipsch. Listen to the prompts, then select home audio.

From your description, I'd think you are bottoming the woofer. the voice coil is striking the back plate in the magnet gap. this will make a very loud pop and will eventually bend the voice coil former out of round which will in turn cause the coil to scrape. TURN IT DOWN. The popping is a sure sign of overdriving the woofer.