Thinkin about B&W

Jordan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan,

To build a nice audio system you have to figure out what you don't like and fix that, one item at a time. If you keep the Klipsch and you want to keep most of the other equipment you have, we can work on making what you have a little smoother and sweeter. You said your RF-7's were harsh. I'd try some solid copper interconnects on your DVD/CD player (Kimber PBJ or Timber), and some solid copper speaker wires like Audioquest Type 4. That should smooth things out quite a bit.

After that I would go for a nice tube pre-amp and after that, a tube amp or amps. I'm a dedicated two channel guy, so I can't help you with HT. Five or seven channels of tube power can start to get expensive. On the other hand a nice stereo integrated tube amp is fairly cheap. I'd rather have two really good channels than 5 channels of lesser equipment. Good luck.

Would it be advisable to get a tube amp to watch movies with? A 2 channel tube amp for music, then when I watch movies I can just pick up a seperate 5 channel ss amp for the others. Or would that mess up the sound, a tube amp with the mains and an ss amp for the surrounds/center?

Would it be advisable to get a tube amp to watch movies with? A 2 channel tube amp for music, then when I watch movies I can just pick up a seperate 5 channel ss amp for the others. Or would that mess up the sound, a tube amp with the mains and an ss amp for the surrounds/center?

It depends. How complicated do you want your system to be to use? I'd try DeanG's crossover modification first.

It depends. How complicated do you want your system to be to use? I'd try DeanG's crossover modification first.

Tiger really hit it on the head! It can be simple!

I'm a case in point!

I once was like Jordan had a lot of gear my 2 ch combined with surround!

I wanted more from my 2 ch!

It took a friend of mine to point out all the extra wiring with
processors and bypass switches and such was degrading what I was after.

We then hooked everything straight 2 ch no surround stuff.

I remember him standing with his arms full of wire just grinning at the
improvement of my 2 ch. I of which had my jaw on the floor!

Many of my local clubs members have just gone back to 2 channel. Or they have 2 separate systems.

Some manufactures like Mark Levinson have Source Selector Switches that switch both hot and grounds!

You might ask why? Well they know that components down line can bleed
both DC and AC across interconnects degrading the sound of a given
source being used.

I like surround but I have been very content with DVD direct (with
variable outs) into my mono blocks throwing out a huge sound stage in
the process at a higher level of transparency then what I've heard from
many processors.

I have put my money into the core of my system instead of a line preamp
I stuck more into my CD player and instead of a Surround Processor a
higher quality DVD player.

Instead of many speakers I stuck the money into my crossovers with the
resultant sound being as smooth as the Palladium's that I heard at
Damon's home and I'm not kidding!

I like B&W's as well. But my networks have made my Fortes competitive on a level I never dreamed of!

And they are the most fun I've had in 35 yrs of audio.

SET12