An exercise in reaffirmation

We re-carpeted the downstairs last week. That entailed dismantling the stereo. It was reassembled in 2 steps. Step 1 left the center channel out. Step 2 added the center mono channel back into the fray. I had listened to the set-up for a long time with the center mono channel in place and wanted to experience it without just to see what it sounded like. Papa Klipsch had it right. The center mono channel is an exceptional step up to a standard 2 channel stereo set-up. It is hard to describe the addition of the mono channel. Suffice it to say that I'll not ever have a stereo without one. It fleshes out the sound reproduction. It gives it meat and emphasizes what needs enhancement. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Oscar. How far apart are your mains?

The Khorns are about 15 feet apart. I replaced their midrange with a JBL 2482, the tweeters with JBL 2404. I use AlK's steep slope crossover. The center channel is another 2482/2404 combo with a custom made crossover, again from AlK. The center channel crossover is built to match the settings for the Khorns. I have no bass in the center channel as I am close enough to the Khorns for plenty of that frequency. Also, since the mid and tweeter drivers on the Khorns are not fixed I'm able to place them laterally on the outer edges of the speakers. So the center channel and the side speakers form an arc across the sound stage. I using a summing minibox from the same source which is a Accuphase E-530 integrated amp(there is no separate amp for the center channel). The minibox has a volume control so I can dial down the volume on the center channel as needed. I run it a 1/2 or less volume. It is a very satisfying stereo.