Looking ,set of AA crossovers For 1980's black industrial type Lascalas

Removed the back cover on my Lascalas and found the crossovers were AL type..I was planning on buying a Tube amp but want to change these crossovers before I do. Anybody with a spare set, preferrably with new capacitors, please let me know..

What differences should I expect going from the AL to AA (with new caps)?

Thanks

Mike

If you can swing it in your budget, I'd recommend ALK Universal networks at about $500. I just bought a pair for my recent La Scala restoration project and they sound terrific. www.dcchomes.com/LaScala5.html

You'll get $100 or so on ebay for the AL's if you clean them up.

You might also consider changing the woofers to the Bob Crites cast-frame replacements. You can sell the original K33's for more than half the cost of the new ones.

Greg

Mike

If you decide to go with the ALK Universals, I have a pair for sale built by yours truly, less than a year old in excellent condition, $300. Reason for selling, I'm going to be running the Altec 511/902 combo instead of the k55 & k77, so have to build new x-overs (as soon as the parts come). Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks Craig, I am sure that would be the best way to go, but for now I would rather try and get a pair of the AA's partly becuase of price and partly because I like to take this improvement journey in "baby steps"..

Even with the AL's I am still pretty happy with the sound from them, but certain things i am hoping to improve upon a little at a time. Since i got the Lascalas I've been having fun listening to all kinds of my music again, and i am comparing them back and forth A&B with my Paradigm Monitor 90p's.. so far the Lascals have the Monitors beat at almost everything except for some sublties in vocals and some other midrange stuff :D] I plan on getting a tube amp soon then maybe a new cd player and then the ALK's down the road, and maybe even a new woofer etc..

I like having something to look forward to for improvements:) a little at a time

Thanks for the info though:) greatly appreciated.

Mike

If you decide to go with the ALK Universals, I have a pair for sale built by yours truly, less than a year old in excellent condition, $300. Reason for selling, I'm going to be running the Altec 511/902 combo instead of the k55 & k77, so have to build new x-overs (as soon as the parts come). Let me know if you're interested.

Any pictures?

Mike, if you don't want these, I'm interested for myself, but I want to see what components were used.

Greg

Mike, Not familiar with the AL's, but a pair of AA's with fresh caps will sound nice. Yes Greg has expressed his interest in the Universals :) I still have to send him some pics, though....I hope they pass inspection. Greg, I just checked out your LaScala restoration (saw some of the pics posted in your other thread about the rear facing config), very nice work! Front mounted and flush, lexan panel, veneer and oil, more than a restoration I'd say. Good stuff.

If you want a pair of AAs BEC (Bob Crites) builds and sells them with all new parts and uses good caps. You get the added bonus of being able to convert to "A" type networks with just plugging and unplugging a couple of wires....no tools required.