5.1 to 7.1

BWD

I now have RF-35 (l-r) RC-35 and RS-35 surrounds, I want to go 7.1 and was wondering what I should get for back surrounds. Should I look for some RS-35's or go with new speakers, if so what would sound good with my set up?

Thanks

It depends.

It depends on the room layout, particularly where you are seated in relation to the rear wall.

Google 'THX speaker placement' and you'll see that the first set of surrounds should go on the side walls and be of the wide, disperse type (RS).

Your rear surrounds should be on the back wall and if at a reasonable distance from you, be of the direct radiating type (RB or in wall). Many people try to squeeze 7 channels into a small room and use the RS or R5650S surround speakers on the rear wall.

By all means, buy Klipsch!

BUT....I would try the 7.1 set-up with borrowed speakers first. We went to 7.1 from 4 Corns, a Klipsch-dervied center and a sub. The two "new" speakers are old RS three-ways greened with new woofers & caps. We built stands to raise the back Corns up about a foot so their tweeters will peek over the back of the couch. I don't think it was worth it. The 7.1 aspect is marginal for movies with a lot of special effects but I don't use 7.1 when listening to music-don't want the Klipsch sound contaminated with RS stuff! [:D]

Any thoughts on the RB-51's They are closer to my price range. These are just going to be rear surrounds, I think the 35's might be a little over kill!

RB35s are huge beasts. My father has them running up front for his mains.