OT: Steve Allen Show interview / performance with Jack Kerouac

In that era there was already a tradition of reading to jazz. I remember attending a live concert of the great poet Kenneth Patchen reading with the Chamber Jazz Sextet. A few years later Ken Nordine's "Word Jazz" became a popular phenomenon. Kerouac had always been a huge jazz fan and attended the early jam sessions at the birth of modern jazz. There are many recordings which document all of this. Fun stuff.

c&s

Does anyone remember when the group "Blue Cheer" did a live performance of Summertime Blues on a Steve Allen show? It was outrageous. Steve was cool but not quite prepared for what happened. They had the stage stacked floor to ceiling, side to side, with speakers. They must have parted the scalp on people in the next building. Steve kept this dumbfounded grin going through the entire performance and congratulated everyone on surviving it when done. I met Steve Allen when I was 18. A nice guy and a real gentleman, always.

No I missed that, or would have remembered as was into Blue Cheer LP called Vincebus Eruptum which had that song. Stack of Marshall Amps was their style. Good early 3 piece hard rock/psychadelic super long-hair group.

Steve Allen a funny guy, his rating probably went high with younger set. LOL!