RC-64 to replace RC-62?

ensmarcum

I currently have this setup:

RF-82's

RC-62

RS-42's

RB-51's

2-Synergy 10" subs

All being powered by the Anthem PVA 7 amp and the Anthem Statement D2. My current setup is nice and I love the sound that I get, but I have this overwhelming desire to get the RC-64. I want to know if anyone out there has a similar setup and if they have made that switch or know how different the speakers sound? We are movie and tv watchers, so this system rarely gets music played through it, so my concern is the movie side of the house. Will this bring a brighter or clearer sound stage or depth that I am not currently getting? How will this change my overall acoustic envelope? Will the RC-64 be to much for the center of this sound stage? My front speakers are seperated by a few feet, so my sound stage is pretty wide. I also am in a retangular room, with the correct setup of surrounds in the back and rs-42's to the sides. I dont know how I ever got my wife to let me get this setup, nor allow me to setup our living room in this manner but it is working. Do you think it will be worth the extra $ that I will need to spend in order to get this center channel? Thanks for any and all inputs.

Droopy

I say go for it and don't look back!! Heck, get the best center you can get, then later on down the road, maybe upgrade your sub's or mains. But that is a great start. You will absolutely love the 64. Just remember, it is almost as big as one of your RF-82's. Check out the dimensions and make sure it will fit before you get it. You will notice a big difference when watching movies. Also, make sure to calibrate your center so they blend in with your mains. Are you familiar with an SPL meter? If not, there are several posts on how to properly use one. Do a search and read up. It will really help blend all your speakers in. Good luck and if you can, post some pictures. Oh, almost forgot- Wecome to the forum!

Hey thanks for the response dary and nezff. Dary, I am very familiar with an spl meter, but I will do you one better, the D2 just came out with the ARC-1, the Acoustic Room Correction, kind of like Audessy but for Anthem only. I am currently overseas so I cant setup the system but my wife already has it sitting at home in my welcome home package. I want that speaker but I dont know how it will make a difference. i can get a great deal on the speaker too, which is making it hard not to get, but the wife factor is chimming in. Thanks for the welcome to the forum, I love Klipsch speakers, I would absolutely love a setup that included the new Palladium system. Anyway, I hope more people can help me out. Thanks,

Droopy

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum Droopy. The RC-64 is designed and timbre matched for the RF-63 and the RF-83. It is truly a remarkable speaker. I have not heard the RC-64 with the RF-82 but I have heard it with the RF-7's and the RF-83's and it has incredible clarity, depth and really is one bad mama jama. The way I look at it, if you can get it cheap and it will fit in your setup (it's HUGE) and your wife approves of it, I'd day get it. If you are unhappy with the performance, you should be able to turn around and sell it and at least get your money back that you put into it.

youthman, thanks for the advice. I am leaning more and more...I hear the 64 calling my name. What makes the biggest difference in the 82's vs the 83's i mean isnt the difference just the added woofer? How can the timbre be that different? Just asking. Thanks.

Droopy

I just think that the RC64 would be just way too loud or over kill for the smaller system. My RC62 is loud enough with my RF62s. I would used my RC62 with the RF63s.

then again, I could be wrong, If you really really want to spend the extra money go ahead.

• Moderators

What makes the biggest difference in the 82's vs the 83's i mean isnt the difference just the added woofer? How can the timbre be that different?

No, that is a great question. I was told not long ago that it has to do with the crossover, crossover settings, as well as the types of speakers used. The 82 & 83 have different crossover settings (2000 Hz vs 1650 Hz) as well as different tweeters (1" vs 1.25"). Will you be able to audibly tell a difference whether they are "timbre matched"...I don't know. My hearing probably isn't as sensitive or critical as some others so I myself would probably find that sound panning from the RF-82's to the RC-64 to be smoothe (I'm only guessing here). Your ears might be more refined and find that it is annoying because of the difference in timbre. I have heard the 82's at Best Buy and I found them very pleasing to listen to with a Yamaha 2700 receiver. The RC-52 that they have hooked up to it absolutely cannot keep up with the 82's and is not the speaker Klipsch recommends pairing with them. Why they choose to use it, I have no idea. The RF-83's have been referred to by another forum member as "Fire Breathing Dragons". Needless to say, they are HOT! I absolutely love them and cannot wait to be able to pair them up with an Emotiva XPA5 amp and then eventually using a pre/pro like the Emotiva UMC-1. My 83's do not have a lot of bass due to the fact that I do not have a wall behind them. The rear ports are firing into my kitchen and into my foyer. I will not be able to appreciate their potential until we build our new home and place them in a dedicated theater room. I can't wait to be able to order my RC-64. Currently putting aside all our money for the house, HT be the last thing to put money aside for. Getting very impatient. [:P]

• Moderators

I just think that the RC64 would be just way too loud or over kill for the smaller system. My RC62 is loud enough with my RF62s. I would used my RC62 with the RF63s.

I'm sure the RC-62 is a great speaker, IMO I was not impressed with the RC-52 at all. Will the RC-64 be too loud? Is that even possible? [:D] I think the benefit would be potential. Loudness is not an issue if all speakers are calibrated properly using an SPL meter or his ARC-1. I'm just looking at the fact that something like 80% of movie info is sent to the center channel. It is the most important speaker in a HT setup.

If you don't mind me asking, what price are you able to get the RC-64 for?

Will this bring a brighter or clearer sound stage or depth that I am not currently getting?

Yes.
I, myself, have trouble with weak dialog watching a movie. I ran auto setup on my Yamaha RX V663 and it helped alot. But it set everything low(SPL) and I raised it and it sounds alot better. But I do agree that the RC-62 is lacking something major. I went from a Denon reciever to a Yamaha. Thats one extreme to another. I paid over $350 for that speaker that was suppose to match my RF62's and it dosen't really cut the cheese. I thought about getting another RF62, laying it on its side and hooking it up to my center channel just to get a good dialog. The RC-62 was not designed all that great. Even if its not dialed in right( SPL meters and the like), it should be in a ballpark range. The people who try to save some money and get the RC52, I bet they're not happy at all. That is all my system lacks is a remarkable center channel. So I too am wondering if a RC64 would help to make system sound complete?

• Moderators

When I heard the RC-64, they had it hooked up to a Yamaha 2700 (using it as a pre/pro) and paired it with a 5 x 200 watt/ch amp (not sure what brand). It was absolutely amazing! I'm sure it will sound great with just a receiver but all I can say is that I was grinning ear to ear after watching clips from Pearl Harbor.

Youthman, I see what you are saying. My hearing isnt the best either to many years flying prop driven airplanes. What does a set of 83's cost? Anyway, I am going to be doing more research and hopefully I can find out all the answers I need to. I like Arky's answer, short and sweet. Arky do you think it will match the speakers that I have now or be to much? Thanks for all the input guys.

Droopy

• Moderators

I like Arky's answer, short and sweet.

Yeah, unlike my novels.

What does a set of 83's cost?

They retail for $2500/pr but you can get up to as high as 35% off retail, especially if you can pay for them with cash. It really depends on what your local dealer is willing to sell them for and how bad he wants to sell them.

I am not a Pro when it comes to audio and I worked constuction all my working years not wearing ear plugs when I should have. But the only difference I see in the RC62 and the RC64 is 2 more woofers and a different crossover. The crossover might make all the difference in the world but you still have the same tweeter.Please correct me if I wrong. I'm pretty ease.

I like the most clarity I can get coming from the center position. I hate to back track to hear something I missed the 1st time. That's why I had Dean rework my rc-7 crossover. As good as it was Dean made it significantly better. Of course i've since moved to heritage. And yes you can match all spkr volumes with a spl meter.

• Moderators

From what I can see on the specs, the RC-62 has several differences from the RC-64 other than two additional speakers. The RC-62 has a 1" tweeter and the RC-64 has a 1.25" tweeter. The RC-64 has a 1db higher sensitivity rating. RC-62 is a ported design where the RC-64 is a sealed enclosure. How much difference this all makes, not sure since I personally have not compared the RC-62 to the RC-64.

• Moderators

Youthman, you are on top of your game. I wasn't trying to hijack this thread. But I did learn alot from it.

I don't think you have hijacked the thread at all. Both you and Droopy are searching for the same answers...RC-62 vs RC-64. You might have asked a question that he wanted to ask and vice versa. We all learn from each other by asking questions.

I have the following setup Mains RF82 center RC62 surnd RS 52 sub rsw 10d (may get rb61 for SRb).I wondered the same rc64 vs my rc62 even much so that i went to my local dealer. I myself noticed the following 1highs seemed a little bit more colorfull and wider staging tho be it very miner. 2 when i set them to large setting there was an obvious difference in lows this is credited to the rc64s 2 extra woofers no surprise there. 3 after about 30 more minutes each of just listening to the cnt set to small i came to realized the rc64 seemed to have a better fill between the lows and the highs i think this could be attributed to a different crossover.Its hard to put in to words the difference in hearing so?? My conclusion was i will get the rc 64 but its not the next thing i do for my system it'll be the rb 61 for my backs to make a 7.1. As far as not being a match i think with proper setup the rc64 could blend well with my rf82 and would be very welcomed for movie watching. Id say go a do just what i do and take a test ride for yourself:)