Ohms>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OHMS

toddah

I have a set of 7.1 Quintet II Speakers and the spec sheet says they are 8 ohm speakers. Well I bought an Onkyo 705 THsr Amp and it only allows me to choose 4 or 6 Ohms in the speaker setup.

\What do I do ???????????????????

I'd go with the 6 Ohm setting. Speaker loads in ohms are nominal anyway and present a load that varies with frequency but in the case of the Quintet II speakers they're rated at 8 ohms. Probably a bit lower at some frequencies and higher at some frequencies. You may want to try it at both settings and see if it makes a difference in the sound but the 6 Ohm setting will probably match up better though I'm not sure how important that is.

Bizzareeeooo....

I wonder if they just speced a 6 ohm max so they could rate the amp as a few watts more powerful.

I hope some who knows about this stuff answers you.

I'd be very curious as to Onkyo's response ... did you write or email them? A Teac engineer once answered my inquiry [about a misleeading spec] with "We sometimes have trouble with the advertizing and marketing people."

With speaker impedances (ohm rating), the minimum is more important than the maximum. 8 or even 16 ohm speakers (rare now) can be used with a 4 ohm connector on your amp, but the other way is not so good. 4 ohm speakers on an 8 ohm amp is not recommended, although it will only be a problem at high volume/high power output, in most cases at least.

If the speaker impedance is very low, it can "pull" more power out of the amplifier than is healthy for it, while high impedances limit the amp's output, which doesn't usually cause a problem.

I did not write to Oknyo about this. I was just sort of suprised to not see 8 Ohms as one of the choices.
Ths 705 replaced my 703 that started having "startup" problems and I cannot remember if it had the 8 Ohm choice or not.
I have tried both settings and I cannot hear any difference in the sound. altho I would be the first to admit I know I have some holes in my hearing range so I may not be the best judge of that.

I figured it was not that big of a deal but wanted to ask the people who are deeply into this stuff and see what they thought.

Thank you for the answers. [:)]