Tube Amp suggestion for Heresy & a sub

dgoreck

Ok, so I have aquired a pair of Heresy II's ('87) (gotta start somewhere). I parted out my second small HT setup, but am keeping the subwoofer from it. I'm looking to build a little 2CH setup. I was hoping to get a tube amp to drive the Heresy's. I've been searching boards and found some decent information and recommendations. (Dynaco ST-70. Scott 299b or 340b, Fisher 500C, HK 430/730/930, or even Bottlehead).

Now from some recommendations int he readings I see that people say adding the Subwoofer in with the Heresy's would help the bottom end out. So I was hoping to utilize the sub I have left over.

I have around max $1500 to spend on an amp/pre-amp or combo, would prefer to keep it under $1k if possible. What's been getting me is if I went with a Fisher500C or HK930 setup is how to get a sub out from them. How are you guys doing this? If I went with a pre-amp, I guess I could get the sub-out off that? But what should Iook for then in terms of a pre-amp/amp? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

The Scott 299-D has a center channel output, just what you need to run a 1 wire hook-up to your sub. I really liked my Heresy's on the Scott, and when I hooked-up the Sub to the center channel, WOW, whole new speaker, ... but ... then I bought the Cornwalls, another story for another day. If you use those other brands you'll have to use the high input speaker wire hook-up, will sound good, no doubt, just more wires hanging around ........ either way you'll like it, lotta' choices ................. the voices never go away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where in New York are you ? I'm up in Saratoga Springs area ............ I can show you exactly what Heresy's + Scott 299-D + Sub Woofer can do, wouldn't take long to set it up ................ That a WRX ........ Subaru is all I own !!!!!!!!

Thanks olbuckster.

I was wanting to avoid the high input wire hook up, I thought it might take some of the quality away. It sounds like the Scott 299D might be my best option at this time.

I'm down on Long Island, and work in NYC. Yes, its a WRX, I have a swapped 2000 2.5RS with the WRX motor, just modified a little. ;)

I'm down on Long Island, and work in NYC

You ever come up to the Flat Track in Saratoga ? or Lake George in the summer, or SPAC for a concert? Your within a 3 hour ride .......... it's up to you, I'd made the offer, what you do with it is up to you ............. The high input will work fine ............... I'm about 1 hour North of Albany ........

pCats and VRD's are a little out of my range I think at the moment. I rather start simple and work my way up. I'm going to look into the Scott 299D or maybe a HK730/930 to start. I'm going to research them a little more.

Oldbuckster, I might take you up on the offer, but would be more mid summer when I plan to go up and visit my friend around the Accord/Kingston area. Right now I'm tied up with a few large projects at work, and also trying to get my boat in the water by July 4th. (Coming up sooner then you think with only weekends to finsih the restoration.)

Thanks.

Dynaco St-70 amp and a PAS 3 pre amp. @ $500 for a pair in very good shape.

You wont regret it. The st-70 into Heresy's are magic, imho, ymmv, fwiw etc.

And the best thing about them, is if you dont like em or want to move on, you can flip on ebay for no loss.

peace,

TommyK

Dan, though my wife would love it I sold an amp or 2 or 20, I have a disease which requires I horde amplifiers. I meant "@" as about the price I think you should be able to pick them up. I hope I am not too far off.

My Klipsch journey started with the Dyna St-70 + Pas, and then I built the Bottlehead Foreplay + 2A3, then the 300B, I then went to Scott 340B to Mac MC 30s + C22, and most recently MC2200 + MC250 mk 4. And in the end, I have warmest memories of the ST-70. Every step I take seems is 2 foward one back and 3 to the side from the St-70. (not too mention the closet full of SS gear)

If you ever want to listen, I am in North Jersey.

Peace

TommyK

• 5 weeks later...

Dan I have a new Prologue Two integrated amp driving my Heresy's and I have tried the amp with a pair of Heresy I's and a pair of Heresy III's and a pair of Corwalls as well. The Prologue Two uses KT-88's and at 40 watts has way more juice than you need. It sounds wonderful and is a great deal with lots of new features...circuitry inside corrects the biasing automatically and has lots of failsafes for drunken mistakes like well... Also have not tried but don't think your high level input to subwoofer would really be an issue if you have really thick guage cabling. The integrated amps don't have phonostage cards but you can buy one for a couple hundred if you need one and there are only speaker outputs for two channels, either 8 or 4 ohms.

just my 2 cents (and I believe it fits your budget)

-Scott

dgoreck

If you are in the NYC area, I have a fisher 400 that you can have for free. It's missing all the tubes but the person I got it from said the reciever worked before he ebay'ed all the tubes. Pick up only. It could use a good cleaning, but other than that, appears in good condition.

That for both offers guys. I picked up a Scott 299B as per OldBuckster. The center output works nicely to connect to my sub. Defiantely helps fill in lower end, I just think that the 10" sub is to small, it can't keep up with the volume of sound the Heresy's put out.

IMG_5494.sized.jpg

Anone have a Jolida tube amp hooked up to Heresys? I bought a Jolida 100 cd player a few months ago and have been really pleased with its sound so thinking of adding one of their amps. popbumper just upgraded my Heresy 1s and I currently have a Carver true signature sub hooked into the receiver I'm using temporarily.

You are obviously on the right track, I think a refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifier, like the ones NOSvalues resuscitates, coupled with a powered, class D solid-state sub-woofer, is an excellent audiophile value.

You should not however, put he sensitive tubes on top of the speaker. In fact, something like the Gingko vibration isolation platform is worth making or the investment.

You should not however, put he sensitive tubes on top of the speaker. In fact, something like the Gingko vibration isolation platform is worth making or the investment.

I agree with you, but the setup is only temporary. It was ontop of the speaker or not hooked up at all right now. I just wanted to make sure the amp worked, and haven't listened to it much yet.

I guess it would be a bad idea to put the tube amp in my boat huh? lol.

OB, I like them a lot so far. unfortunately they are not optimally setup in terms of spacing and seating, but so far I am very impressed.