Need Receiver Advice - Completing System!

jbd

Okay, I have read several threads over the past few months and have gotten great advice to build my system. I will be moving soon and renovating the family room, and need a receiver. My current system is as follows:

RF52, RC52, Quintet III side and rear surrounds, Sub 10

I will utilize the room for about 70% HT and 30% music. I was hoping to get a good unit for around $500-$700. I am planning to purchase a 1080p plasma tv, and may have to hold off on a blu-ray player until prices drop. While I am pretty well versed on all of the lingo, the HDMI and upconverting features on receivers throw me a little.

I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V663 and the Onkyo TSXR705. Both of these seem to have similar features, including one that is important to me. That is 9 speaker terminals so I can hook up my 7.1 system as well as 2 outdoor speakers. The room size is 26x13 and I am not sure about my seating positions yet.

Any advice will be great. BTW, I have upgraded my system twice, without even hooking anything up yet. Having the equipment sitting in boxes in the basement along with reading the material on the forum is enough to give me the upgrade bug!

Personally in my opinion I would purchase the Onkyo. Not only do you get more HDMI inputs, 3 compared to 2, but you also get pre-outs. Pre-outs may not be a feature that grabs you right now, but you are then given the chance to upgrade to separate amps in the future if you wanted to. I have had my current Marantz for about three years and am finally going to take advantage of the pre-outs on it. Another nice feature that the Onkyo has is pre-outs for Zone 2, in case you are using speakers that demand a little bit more power or you can set the volume to an amp you may use closer to the speakers.

Though it doesn't make any difference the Onkyo is also THX certified. Some people care about that and other don't. Not a big deal either way in my eyes.

I also like how the Onkyo's back is set up compared to the Yamaha's. Everything is easy to distinguish since they use different colors.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.