4.1 died so I had to become creative

Dflip

Unfortunately the control module is fried, three resistors are burnt. So I went searching for an alternative using my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card. .

Ended up with a Logitech 5300e setup. The sound sucks by comparision, but there was a possible remedy. The sub works really well and has a 20 w amp in it. The ends of the cables going into the sub amp are RCA and they are directly wired into the Logitech right, left and satilitte speakers. What to do? Use the sub, go to Rat Shack and buy two 6' RCA to mini cables, one 6' extention cable (RCA to RCA) and one 24' RCA to two tinned leads for the center channel. Now I can hook up my Klipch ProMedia speakers to left and right (not to power control speaker) and wire up my RF-10 center channel that I have been using. Fired it up and low and behold it works.

How does it sound. The sub has more punch and I get the great Klipsch sound for the parts that make music. The Logitechs are much thinner in depth of music. It worked and a good alternative to what it out there on the market. For $138 for the Logitech and $34 for the cables I have a good sounding system.

I can get you a 4.1 control pod. I don't have any new CP-1's anymore, I just sold the last one, but i do have the older style that don't have the headhpone jacks, or the on/off button, not that it does much anyway. it only turns off the preamp, not the subwoofer, which draws power constantly. but yeah, I have I think 2 in stock right now.

Mister_Clean, thank you for the offer, but this solution has been working for the weekend plus, and seems to be doing the job. Klipsch sound on the left, right and centre, with the Logitech amp and sub. Not what I originally bought, but it works.

Too bad Klipsch had so many problems with the 4.1 and 5.1 ProMedia units because they really did sound sweet. The reliability was another story. Thank goodness the same can't be said for Heresys and Cornwalls. Just replace the capacitors and you're good for another 20 years. Run with tubes or the right SS amp and female jazz vocals are heavenly. [:P]

The 4.1 system was played more frequently either of my other two systems because it sounded very good for what it was. It didn't compare with the others, but.... just surfing the net, marking or doing report cards, it is wonderful. Now at least I can keep on enjoying the sound, volume and dynamics.

• 1 year later...

dont know if your still around, but i have 2 pro media 2.1 and 5.1 both with the left channel out. your solution sounds good. would still like to use the speakers though. maybe a used system like log itech or creative. just to get an understanding you dont use klipsch contoller anymore? Is the logitech hookup you have similar to the klipsch with the amp in the sub and a seperate controller and has a din input?. If you wanted to could you just replace the logitech subwoofers with the promedis. is the sound comparable? thanx

Budunski