Oppo DV-970HD SACD Problem

Video Guy

I bought a lightly used Oppo DV-970HD off CL several months ago and have used it exclusively for 2 channel playback with very good results. I recently hooked it up for SACD playback uing the 5.1 analog outputs and a cheap Sony 5.1 receiver with multi channel inputs. When playing standard 2 channel CD's everyhing was fine. When I played SACD's I noticed some subtle popping in the center channel. I suspected the inexpensive LPS Sony receiver so I swapped the line level center channel wire between the Oppo and the Sony with the line level right channel. The popping now was in the right channel. I then put the wires back to their correct positions.

I did some additional low level listening and noticed random low level popping on the rear channels as well. I emailed Oppo about the problem and out of warranty support. Here is my message:

I have a 970HD that I have been using for 2 channel audio CD playback. I hooked it up yesterday for SACD playback using the analog 5.1 connections. I noticed intermittent popping on the center channel. I suspected the Sony surround sound receiver so I swapped the Oppo output for the center speaker and the right speaker expecting the popping to stay on the center channel, but the popping moved to the right speaker, indicating the problem is in the Oppo. I then tried a DVD Audio disk and seem to get intermittent popping on several of the channels.

Do you have any suggestions?

I bought
the unit used and assume it is out of warranty. Do you have a repair policy
for this type of problem?

It's a great unit, just want to enjoy my SACD
collection.

Oppo sent the following response:

Out of warranty repairs for a
970HD is $38 flat rate fee.

I would update to the latest firmware,
which is available from our site, and try again.

Best Regards, 
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Seems odd that firmware would fix this problem. I checked the latest firmware on the Oppo site and it is the same version installed in my unit. I haven't tried updating the firmware yet.

I did replace the Oppo with a Sony DVP-NC685V DVD player with SACD. There is no popping now so the problem is definitely in the Oppo.

Has anyone experienced similar problems or have any additional suggestions before I return the unit to Oppo for repair?

Thanks!

I have a 970 but haven't used it for SACD, sorry. The only issue i've had is the "Oppo screech" which is an intermittant handshake issue between it and my Anthem which results in a very high pitched tone. A reboot usually eliminates it.