newbie - Need advice on building a home theater system over time

MMacLeod

Hi I'm new to the whole home theater scene so please bear with me. I'm looking to create a theater *eventually* but don't have the money to buy an entire system at once. I have a 15 x 15 room to fill and would like to buy the system in parts. Would it work OK to buy some surrounds like the RS-42's and maybe a sub and just use those for a few months before I can afford some additional components. What I mean is would I get a good sound experience with just the RS-42's and maybe a sub or is it not worth it? Basically I would like to fill the room and try to get the 'surround' effect with a minimal amount of speakers. Would a sub simply overwhelm the surrounds? I really am new to this stuff, sorry if these are stupid questions.

Thanks very much for any advice,

-Marc

First off Welcome to the forum,

Not a stupid question at all. Just a few questions first then the help should start coming in. How much money are you looking to spend? Is this set-up only going to be for HT? Do you currently have any speakers? Do you have a store near you that you can hear the different set-ups with your on music?

I would suggest not to get the surround speakers and sub first. If you can, get the front two speakers then a sub, center channel, and last the surround.

James

Wow thanks so much for the quick reply. Ok so here is the full story:

The 'home theater' in my house is basically going to be in my bedroom. I already have a 42 inch plasma and now I'm looking to get some sound in the room. The couch, however, is a bit off center and to the side against the wall directly across from the TV. I also have a computer hooked up closer to the front of the room that will use the speakers. Because of this I am worried that if I set up a full 5.1 system it may sound uneven from either the couch or the computer because each will not be in the center of the speaker field. Is there a way to get around this? Does it make a big difference if the sitting area is not in the center of all of the speakers? Would it sound good to just get two front speakers and a sub? Or would it be better to get the cinema 6 or quintet III system now? I can spend no more then $1000 right now.

Thanks again

welcom to the madness......

i agree with james. is there anyway you can rearange the bedroom to be more center? you said bedroom, is there going to be a bed in there, or is this the beginning of a "man cave?" are you trying to have your computer use your surround speakers for games? if thats the case, what do you think about a console system? (ps3, xbox 360)?

I may be able to center it but I will still be very close the the rear speakers. Basically I can potentially center the sitting area but I cannot have it off the back wall so it would be very close to the rear speakers. The rear speakers will not actually be behind the couch because the couch will be flush against the back wall. Would this create a problem? Is building a theater a bit overkll? Should I opt for the quintet III or cinema 6? How much of a difference would is there between a theater with something like a rs-42 + center + front + sub versus the quintet III? Or shoud I try and find a 2.1 system with the virtual surround sound technology like the KEF kit1*0 series?

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for your help.

You really do want to have rb/rc/rs as opposed to quintet or the like huge difference. Unless you are doing a 7.1 system your you should have surrounds not rears, surrounds go to the side of the listener. In a room that small I would not go 7.1 It would be a waste, so you just need fronts, center, and side surrounds. Good luck on your path, you're headed in the right direction.

if you want to go a different route you can try the CS-500 line up that klipsch has. the overall best choice is getting something in the rf series. the speakers will last forever. maybe the rf-52 can be in your budget. buy those first and maybe a cheap receiver, for now, just so you can at least listen to those speakers. when money allows, buy a sub,....etc. the rear speakers are not placed behind you. they are on the side of you. if you want call tech support, and if Micheal answers the phone, get a pencil and paper and take notes. he'll be able to help you out and give you all kinds advice, from what speakers to get, where to place them, etc.

i just wanted to add, if you don't like the klipsch 2.1 CS-500 set up, you can try "Sound bars." i think Philips got the best reviews in a couple of different magazines.

Thanks for the advice Inventor. As I will have whatever setup I buy for years to come I think I'll invest in something more then the quintet system. Here's my final (hopefully) laundry list of questions:

- I'll go listen to it in a store but there is a significant difference between a 52 system and the quintet III no?

- Would the RF-52's be too much for a room no bigger then 15 x 15? Do you think that's the best choice for the front speakers keeping in mind a limited budget, what's the difference between the RF-52 and the F-2?

- Will they sound good even though they'll be alone for at least a few months until I can get a sub and later center and surrounds?

- What's the lowest price I can realistically expect to find for a pair of RF-52s and an amplifier?

- Lastly, which amplifier would you recommend?

Thanks

I upgraded from the Quintets to the RF52, and yes to me there is quite a difference.

When I had the guy at the store turn up the RF52, I actually asked him if only the fronts were turned on! Yes, I felt they sounded very good by themselves. I know there is bigger and better, but I was quite pleased when testing them out.

I paid $520 for a pair of RF52 at ABT Electronics. The sale price is not on their website, but you can call and get the in store price (local for me).

They also had the RC52 on sale that I picked up for $215.

i will have a 16x16 room and i am going with the rf-82's only becaue they are $100 more total than the 62's. i was informed in a HT setting, i won't notice a thing, i will only notice a little better bass responce when i listen to 2 channel music. if you can afford the rf-62's i would get them over the 52's just because. when it comes to speakers but the most expencive you can. since they last for years it's a life investement.

i would assume that any rf speaker package would be better than any quintet set up. i don't know the differences betwwen the rf-52 and f-2 but i would assume the rf series would be a better investement.

here is a web site www.hifiheaven.net. you have to call them, and ask for greg. they have great prices. you can also try www.sounddistributores.com (i may have misspelled it, so google it and get the right address. they are also on ebay, you will have to email or call Eric to get a final price).

as far as receivers go i wouldn't know. i would say since buget is limited go with a low end around $300 or less. i would post another tread and see if anyone has any input. just put the max price range and i am sure you will get quite a few hits. someone might even try to sell their older model at a good price.

my receiver works great, but when i upgrade my system i am giving it away to who ever buys the speakers. (i am getting rig of everything and starting over!)

hope that helps, call those places and get good prices so you know your budget.

david

Wow...I got quite a deal then. :)

I got a pair of RF-52s for $379 and a RC-52 for $199. I'm now desperately shopping for an amp. :) Leaning towards a Harman Kardon or Yamaha amps.

good luck! RF-52s are quite nice speakers..but once you start, you can't stop. I'm aiming RF-63s or RF-83s in the not too distant future.

SH

I upgraded from the Quintets to the RF52, and yes to me there is quite a difference.

When I had the guy at the store turn up the RF52, I actually asked him if only the fronts were turned on! Yes, I felt they sounded very good by themselves. I know there is bigger and better, but I was quite pleased when testing them out.

I paid $520 for a pair of RF52 at ABT Electronics. The sale price is not on their website, but you can call and get the in store price (local for me).

They also had the RC52 on sale that I picked up for $215.

I highly agree with jbt, they sound very "big" for dual 5.25 x 2, I am oversatisfied with them, and have no need to upgrade, I just want a better subwoofer that this crappy ksw10.......the rf52 drown out the bass from this sub.......I loved the way the martin logan sub sounded in best buy and am leaning towards it.....I have a yamaha receiver, and I didn't like it at first but i love it now, Not as asthetically pleasing as i would like but it plays loud and clear.