heresy's

i had posted and thank you for the tips on getting covers for my speakers, after looking into it my speakers i got from the pawn shop are heresy 1's and i understand they have the nickle plated tweeters, i dont know much about the speakers other then they could use some sanding and my wife wants a black stain on them to match the living room, they sound good and i used them one time one my surround sound and they performed real well, i took them in to see about getting them sanded and stained at a local store and the price for that was to high for me. what dont know is if there is a certain value to these speakers, the store had offered me 600.00 in trade in on them and i have no knowledge of what they might be worth, thanks fourwindz

"the store had offered me 600.00 in trade in on them and i have no knowledge of what they might be worth, thanks fourwindz"

trade in dollars are like monopoly dollars. you need to understand what the list price is of the item you are considering as well as what the register price is. SO if you wanted a set of speakers that had a list price of 5000 dollars, and the store offers you 600 in trade....it may not mean much if the same speaker only cost 4000 somewhere else. Knowing that if the store offers you the same speakers for 3400 dollars, then clearly there is a savings. I seen new in the box heresy's that were stored away for 25 years and in mint condition sell for 500+. But if your hereys have signs of use to the extent that you need to re-finish, there are not worth much more than the parts value on ebay.

i've got a pair of heresy 1 that i bought back in early 1984. what is the cost of new crossovers and is that a complicated job or can any semi-smart person do it?

Stew,

I don't know the cost of a new crosssover but Klipsch parts or Bob Crites (BEC), and others, here on the forum should be able to help you out. If you're just trying to bring them back up to their original sound quality I think you can get by with just replacing the capacitors. Again Klipsch parts or Bob Crites can probably help you out or you can order replacements of the correct values from Parts Express or other sources.

I'm crazy enough to think I could replace the capacitores or the crossover and I'm a klutz and often get too impatient when soldering. If I can do it, just about anyone should be able to do it. Just be patient.

I suspect others with more experience in such things will chime in before too long.

Good luch and enjoy.