HT Set-up Help!

jbd

I am closer to the installation of my new HT system and had a few questions about the connections. Since we will be rennovating the room, I am going to have an A/V guy come in and do the wiring before the drywall is installed (on a rec from my contractor). My system is listed below, and my question is about the cables. I know that the speaker wire depends on the distance. The sides will be about a 30ft run and the rears will be about a 45ft run. While the installer is a professional, I just want to make sure that things are being done correctly.

1) What guage of speaker wire, and does it have to be the most expensive kind. I know there have been endless speaker wire debates and I don't want to begin another one!

2) For the best A/V connections, I am guessing that HDMI 1.3 cables should be used. Again, do these have to be the most expensive. I remember reading somewhere that you can get good HDMI cables for $10-$15 depending on the length needed, opposed to Monster and others that run close to $100.

I just want to make sure that if the installer will be providing some materials, I don't get taken to the cleaners. Thanks for any advice.

I have no problem doing the HT in the family room, but I may put some speakers in other rooms and don't really want to mess with the additional wiring around the rest of the house.

Can I assume that a 1.3 HDMI cable at monoproce will be just as effective as some of the Monster cables for 10x the price?

As I just got done doing this it's fresh in my head...

For the wire in the walls/ceiling use structual/architectual grade wire. It is a much thicker jacket and gives better protection (usually white.) As far as the other wire from the wall to speaker/av receiver you would use the standard speaker wire (usually gold jacket.) As far as gauge goes I would opt for 12 gauge though you could get away with 14. Think about banana plugs as well from the wall to the av receiver.

Now on the HDMI cable think about running a flex tube conduit and wall plates. This will do a couple things...One you don't have to get a huge run from end to end when using wall plates. Rather than having a single 45 foot hdmi cable you could do a 30 ft cable in wall/two wall plates/(2) 7-8 ft cables from wall to receiver/vid source. This will save you some money up front. Second, if you change equipment or new technology comes out (and it is coming since they have 2kP coming) then changing this system out won't cause too much headache.

Where to get and quality... Monoprice has the wall plates for HDMI (1.3a version) and you can either buy the HDMI cable from them or go to BlueJeans (where I opted.) Both have excellent QA and you can't beat the price.

For the speaker wire you can purchase from just about any large electronic store. If you're lucky enough to have an Altex, or something similar, I'd start there...the big chains will gouge your wallet. Genesis also makes a good wire and can be had online.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

Hope this helps.

Great advice there. Since I will be doing this myself in the near future, when you run the cables and wires yourself, what do you use to secure them to the studs? Do you use a staple gun? I'm assuming zip ties, bungie cords and duct tape are out of the question. [:P] Also, do you drill a hole through the studs to insert the wire through? I'm not much of a handiman but I want to do most of the work on my theater room mainly so that if something goes wrong or I need to change something out, I know exactly where everything is. Also, I know some use conduit as you have mentioned. Is this standard pvc pipe? I'm not familiar with flex tube conduit. Thanks for any advice.

Since I will be doing this myself in the near future, when you run the cables and wires yourself, what do you use to secure them to the studs?

Well depends... For my case I didn't secure them to any studs b/c this was done all after dry wall was up. The only connection is to the wall plate/banana plug inserts. Now if you are doing a complete start from fresh application and have access to the dry walls then using carpenter staples would do the job. Personally, there is no added benefit from securing the wires to the studs. If you think about it...they aren't going any where. [H]

Also, I know some use conduit as you have mentioned. Is this standard pvc pipe? I'm not familiar with flex tube conduit. Thanks for any advice.

Conduit is a flexible plastic tube that you can install into the walls in areas where you'll need to run wires more than once.

cn-scx4x1.gif

Today this would translate to HDMI as this technology will change. Speaker wires once installed you should never have to touch them again.

i just saw my home today (well the frames) and the conduit that is run in my living room is 1.5" and that is plenty big enough. i think i could have at least 5 hdmi connectors in there and have room. i was a little worried when they told me the size, but seeing it first hand, it's plenty large enough.