Thoughts on this horn? (tweeter replacement)

So Marvel and I are going to build some cornwall type things.

So far we have some K57's on K601 horns and some K33's and I'd like to use some (eminence)APT-50's for the tweeters.

I figured since we'd be building these ourselves we didn't have to stick with a K-77 sized tweeter and there are some cheap plastic horns that we could mount the APT-50's on.

Anybody have any experience with these horns from Dayton?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-314

Selenium has a Bi-radial horn for cheap but it's only listed as having a 60x40 coverage.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-308

Or perhaps I should just get the APT-150.

Ant thoughts on the 100x50 horn design on this one?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-534&FTR=apt-150&CFID=1134033&CFTOKEN=90922791

The APT-150 would be the same price(roughly) as getting the APT-50 by itself and then getting the 1 3/8" adapter and one of those horns.

Please enlighten.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh,

One thought for experimentation, that tweeter is pretty much bullet proof to 3500 hz and may even be rated to 2500hz. I've been using it crossed at 4500hz and paired with the K55 the sound is very good. Usually the K55 is run up to 6000hz where it poops out on it's own and it's not so well behaved as it does. The improvement is more what one doesn't hear as the K55 is winding out. I never really noticed the K55 distortion until I wasn't hearing it. That tweeter is quite able. I suppose the K57 would be similar.

Klipsch is now using 4500hz as the crossover point in the new Khorn and LaScala. I'd also add that their sixth order crossover somehow allows them to use the K77 withing endangering it's safety. My experience with 4500hz was on a type A crossover on Khorns and LaScalas. I didn't want to put my K77 at risk there, though.

I never really noticed the K55 distortion until I wasn't hearing it. That tweeter is quite able. I suppose the K57 would be similar.

Don't go knockin' my K57s, now...Indifferent

Maybe that's part of the aggressive midrange sound I love in my Heresy1's

I'm sure we'll figure out something good with the crossover.

Josh,

Yeh. That's an interesting question. Might be part of the signature sound.

One thing, on the 4500hz crossover, the crossover can be set up so it is easily convertible from 6000hz. It can be changed from one point to the other in 30 seconds. Bob Crites is who got me onto that. He can advise you on the cap values, little inductor and connectors to make it easy.

Bruce,

I know. You were perfectly happy til I brought this up! Sorry. [:D]

I spent a few months with Bruce's H2's before passing them on to him.

During this time as a side by side audition with my H1's I thought that the H2's were too laid back and mellow sounding compared to the brash in your face sound of my H1's.

At louder(100dB or so) volumes the H2's seemed at the time smoother up top and more controlled sounding although slightly leaner in the bass dept.

The H1's certainly lost some of their high end high volume grain when I swapped out the K77's for the CT-125's, for instance now I can listen to my 45rpm single of ACDC's Back in Black at over 100dB and it doesn't make my fillings hurt.

I think I am probably gonna go for the crossover as you described in the cornwall things.

I'm rambling...