Plasma TV: either extension cord or buy another conditioner?

InVeNtOr

i am not doing to typical entertainment center furniture set up. i will have all my equipement in a closet. so saying that, i encountered another snag....i want to only buy 1 power conditioner (furman elite 15pfi) and would really not want to buy something just for the tv. so i had a thought, i already have 3 tubes in my wall (1.5" diameter) and one of them is empty. so i figured if i bought a good 12awg cord (hooked it up right, put RTV around the connection and maybe ziptied them together) and ran that in the tube to my et closet and plug it into the conditioner. i like that idea because i will be running a dedicated power line to that closet, and the plug where the tv is, will be part of the living room circuit. i guess i like the idea of everything on that one dedicated line. i am also a little cheap, not too bad, and would really not want to buy a sepererate furman conditioner (AC-215).

so does this idea have merit? is it a bad idea? good idea? something better? any suggestions are welcome.

thanks again....

max 15', maybe even 10', depending on how long the tv cord is and exackly where my conditioner is in the closet. for the heat, i don't have that many good ideas. so far the only thing i can think of is, a fan....somewhere....and a vented door. i asked about tapping into the ac, but the builder said it would be a bad idea. the ac is "balanced" and any alterations would effect it's performance.

I can't see where a short run with 12ga wire would hurt anything. It's possible you only have 14ga at the wall where the tv is now anyway. I agree that using one circuit is the best way to go and would help eliminate any potential ground loop issues. As far as ventilating the closet goes, I migh try convection cooling first and see what the temp runs in the closet. You'll just need a vent at the top and bottom of the door. If it gets too hot, you can always add a fan later. As long as you're not stacking a bunch of amps in there, you might be OK with just vents.

thats kinda the idea i was thinking about. i would like to look into having a thermostat so that way, when the amps heat up a fan will kick on. i thought of that because a constant fan running might be too much noise for me, but if the volume is kicking then i might not hear the fan when they do come on. i will have to talk that over with the guy who is going to be doing the job.

Guest srobak

Is it possible to cut a hole and vent out the top of the closet? If so - that mayhelp, and you could even add a high cfm/low noise fan in/near the hole to evacuate the air. Leave enough of a gap at the bottom of the closet door, or cut an inlet vent into the back of the closet for cooler air. Barring the ability to do positive pressure, this might be your next best bet.

I agree that an extension cord for that short of a run should not pose a problem.

Also - I haven't forgotten about your email - I will try to get you the info tonight. Sorry - I have been rather busy and it got back burnered. My apologies.

oh, don't worry about it. i took care of it with the builder. i got a rough dimension that the posts are about dead center. i changed the layout, this time it's final. i won't be able to make any more changes and will have to live with my decision.