Can it be made into a 4.1/5.1 system?

videoCWK

Hey, I couldn't help but notice that the Promedia 4.1 and 5.1 systems have been tragically killed off. I was wondering though if the sub (or wherever you plug the speakers in, in my experience they usually plug into subs on computer speakers and I don't have my pair to know for sure yet) has compatibility for extra satellites. If not, is there an adapter of some sort that would let me use two separate 2.1s as one 4.2?

And yes, I know I could always visit eBay or Amazon, except I like buying direct. That way I'll know that what I'm getting is going to work, I'll have warranty, I won't have to worry about the product description enhancing the truth about it's condition, and I don't have to go with a used system. The only 4.1 on Amazon is used, and on eBay they're all for bid (or used), and I prefer buying over bidding. So, what can I do?

videocwk,

Interesting idea, though, I'm doubtful that it could be accomplished easily with satisfactory results. I don't think a sub in a 2.1 system has got the circuitry to handle a 4.1 or 5.1 system. In some checking with Klipsch tech support on similar questions, I found out that subs which might appear to be identical actually are not.

If you had a 2.1 system that you wanted to use as 4.1, it could be done with Y adapters, IMO. It would just be adding another pair of speakers for two channel use. I'd be careful, though, to not run it hard at all. Adding the speakers would lower the impedance presented to the amp. Depending on what the amp is designed to handle, it could cause the amp to fail.

As to the actual impedance of the satellites and the impedence capabilities of the amp, that would be an excellent question to have answered.

• 1 month later...

I'm running 2 pm2.1s off a Y splitter, that way the signal gets split, so I have 2 left and 2 right speakers, and I keep my subs stacked, they stack really nicely, I played around with different locations for the subs, but the preamp cord is too short to really do that effectively, plus when stacked they look impressive.Also their is definitely a noticable improvement in bass...I think in terms of cone size its a bit more than an 8 inch driver might give you and a bit less than a 10. I really like it. Just go to radio shack or even best buy and ask for a Y-splitter.