Adding an additional sub and 7.1

Mark O

Two questions gents:

I have a svs pb13 ultra sub, rf83's, rc64. and rs62 surrounds powered by 130 watt per channel denon 3808.

1) Can I add another sub and not take away from the current power? Will it sound even better and stronger? How can it hook into my receiver?

2) Does adding two more rs62;s really contribute to a better sound? Will that draw power away from my current system.

Just preparing for the future. Not doing anything right now. Just curious

Thanks

Mark

• Moderators

1) Can I add another sub and not take away from the current power? Will it sound even better and stronger? How can it hook into my receiver?

By adding an extra sub, it will not take away from the current power because the sub has it's own separated powered amp. The receiver is just sending the LFE signal, the sub is amplifying that signal. You can use a RCA Y adapter to connect to your sub out on your Denon and then you can connect two sub cables to it. Will it sound better and stronger? Two 13" subs will hit harder than one 13" sub because they are moving more air and creating more sound pressure. The only negative thing that I have heard of is that sometimes their waves can cancel each other out. That's where I get lost. LOL.

2) Does adding two more rs62;s really contribute to a better sound? Will that draw power away from my current system.

Most have suggested to stick with a solid 5.1 setup since there aren't that many true 7.1 DVD's available. Your room is large enough to handle a 7.1 setup. By adding two more speakers, it should draw more power but you can check your manual on the Denon to see if it is rated at 130 all channels driven. If so, it was designed to drive 7 speakers at 130 watts/ch.

that 3808 will handle it. how big is the room? i am assuming it's a good size based on the speakers. you can add a "hard" y splitter (check out vampire, blue jeans cable sells them, or you can get a cheaper version of that one, try radio shack). what i did was buy monsters y splitter because it was cheap and it was at Fry's, and i could have it now.

youthman is right, when you add 2 subs or more, you will need "The EAR's" advice. you start getting into sine waves and a bunch of other buzz words that i don't even know. i wanted to do that too, but in the end after a hundred questions, i still have no clue if it would work out aright. i went ahead and bought a better sub. maybe one day i will actually know someone in person that is into HT and we together could figure it out.

• Moderators

You shouldn't need a Y splitter; most H/T receivers, as well as the subs themselves, have provisions for multiple subs.

The Denon 3808 only has one sub out on the receiver but you are right, he could daisy chain the subs using either RCA or XLR from one sub to the other. I've never really thought about doing that with home audio. Pro audio they do it all the time. Great suggestion.