In Wall Speakers

fathered5

I am getting ready to start framing my theater room. The skinny my screen is going to be 92" and my room is 10' wide, 22' deep and 8.5' tall. I need to make a decision now weather to use in wall speakers and frame now for them behind the screen or put towers in the corners. I like the idea of the speakers being hidden but do they sound as good as a good reference tower system. Nobody has any in walls where I can here them in my area. I am putting a 7.1 in do to the length of the room. The sub will not be in wall. The in walls will probably be the series 5. And here that Klipsch will becoming out with a true center in wall. I would like to now when that would be? I just need a few opinions to help on this decision. Thanks.

• Moderators

I like the idea of the speakers being hidden but do they sound as good as a good reference tower system.

Due to shere physics, floorstanding speakers will provide you with a more full, theater like experience than in wall speakers. Granted if you take a high end Klipsch In wall and compare it to a pair of sony towers, the Klipsch will likely win. I have yet to hear a set of inwall or in ceiling speakers that have impressed me. Towers take up more space but I believe they are well worth the real estate that they take up.

Side thought...have you ever seen inwalls used in a movie theater? There is a reason why.

Good luck with your setup and be sure to post pics when it is finished.

• Moderators

The Ultra2's are not what most consider inwall speakers even though they can be mounted flush inside the walls. They are an enclosed speaker where most inwall speakers use the drywall as the enclosure. You will notice that the Ultra2's are not listed in the In-Wall Section. They are in the LCR Speakers section.

100x100.aspx vs 100x100.aspx

• Moderators

Here try this your not looking at the ultra2 in-wall, that is the ultra2....

My bad Brac. I didn't realize Klipsch made a THX in-wall speaker. I have not heard them either but I still cannot believe that they will be able to outperform a good klipsch floorstanding speaker. Anyone around here ever been able to compare them?

I think I am going to stick with what I have heard and like, towers. The other problem I have found is my surrounds. They are 16' back even with the main viewing area. the problem is I have a side entry which at the 16' mark. I'm putting a tray in to hide the ductwork and wiring. Above the sitting area will be the projector. I wanted to put the surrounds at ear level that can't happen unless i move the speakers 2' forward but i think that will effect the sound the other option is to try to squeeze them between the door frame and the tray. Any opinions.

• Moderators

Does the diagram look similar to your layout? I tried to make everything to scale. 10ft wide room, 7ft wide screen, 16ft from front to main viewing area and a side entrance to the left or right of the main viewing area. The ideal place for your side surrounds is slightly behind the listening area. In my diagram, that would mean moving them on the other side of the doorway towards the rear of the room. Can you move your main listening area forward any or move the side surround back any?

post-27215-13819374849072_thumb.gif

No I can't move the speakers back because of the triple stacked 2x6's holding a beam up. I can move the seats up about 2' not much more I'm going to set bean bag chairs out for the kids.

How would they sound if I put them in front of the door towards the screen which I think you put them in the diagram. Will it give me any true surround effect ? It is a 7.1 and I have never had a 7.1 to see how it sounds.

Thanks for the diagram it helps in explaining.