Lascalas Low midrange resonating, Fixes??

I've been noticing a resonating effect from the low midrange on my Lascalas.. what type of fixes have worked best for you Lascala owners. this seems to be the only negative i have with these speakers so far.. If I can fix this I will be a very happy man:)

thanks In advance

Mike

Get into the dog box and see if anything got in there between the 3" slot and the woofer. that happened to me on my first pair and I found all sorts of stuff in there. Could be a voice coil in the woofer? Most times you can rule out anything with bad cabinetry on the heritage line, I've found. Maybe a loose screw on the horn or woof?

BS

The resonating is probably not because the sides of the cabinets are not braced. There are thousands of braceless La Scalas out there performing without resonances. The bracing that you hear about for La Scalas is not actually for resonating problems. It's to stiffen the cabinets, and stiffer cabinets produce more defined and accurate bass.

Check where the bottom of the sides attaches to the bottom piece of plywood. Check carefully, it doesn't have to be too loose to cause a buzzing. Turn them upside down and have a real good look at that joint.

I would pull the bottoms off and have a look at the woofers. If you pull the woofers out, take the bottom (actually top because you'll have them upside down) out first. When you put those screws back in, don't cross-thread them and don't push in too hard on them as you screw them in, you can push the t-nuts off the back side.

With enough digging, you should be able to find what's resonating.

Greg

There are thousands of braceless La Scalas out there performing without resonances. The bracing that you hear about for La Scalas is not actually for resonating problems. It's to stiffen the cabinets, and stiffer cabinets produce more defined and accurate bass.

Greg

That's not "accurate". The sides of the bass horn resonate on all of them but the LSII and make the upper bass sound fat. It shows in male voices and Seal's voice seems to be the perfect pitch to excite it. It is easy to feel by touching the sides of the horn.

Somehow I doubt that Klipsch produced a speaker for 40 years that made an audible resonating sound from the cabinet. If so, then shame on Klipsch.

I've owned at least 25 pairs of La Scalas over the years, and the only ones that made an audible resonating noise from the cabinet were the ones with loose sides.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

"I've owned at least 25 pairs of La Scalas over the years,"

Good Lord! You must have been or are involved in the commercial sound field? I found that on some male voice at moderate to 'high' levels I get a bit of upper bass emphasis on my LaScalas----although I did check out the particular recording on another system/speaker and found the same chestiness albeit not quite as bad. If you have the album, try "Sporting life Blues" on the "Road to Escondido" CD, Eric Clapton works the mike very closely it would seem and the lower register of his voice is emphasized.....BTW, J.J. Cale and Clapton do a great job on this album.

"I've owned at least 25 pairs of La Scalas over the years,"

Good Lord! You must have been or are involved in the commercial sound field? I found that on some male voice at moderate to 'high' levels I get a bit of upper bass emphasis on my LaScalas----although I did check out the particular recording on another system/speaker and found the same chestiness albeit not quite as bad. If you have the album, try "Sporting life Blues" on the "Road to Escondido" CD, Eric Clapton works the mike very closely it would seem and the lower register of his voice is emphasized.....BTW, J.J. Cale and Clapton do a great job on this album.

Yes, soundman for 15 years and I've bought and sold for profit. I currently have 5 pair, all but one pair waiting to be restored.

I understood the original poster's issue to be a "noise" issue, not just the normal sound that La Scalas make. Of course the sides of the cabinets resonate, all cabinets do to some extent.

From what I understand, stiffening the sides of a La Scala may actually reduce the output of the lowest frequencies. When Klipsch made the changes to the LSII, they also changed the crossover to give it a deeper voice. When I heard them at the Pilgrammage a few years ago, they were the best sounding speaker I heard all day.

Greg