Stupid Upgrading Question

Marshal

Okay, this may sound like a stupid question, but I will be upgrading my PC in a couple days and having the video and sound cards replaced along with the CD-RW drive. Should I go ahead and uninstall the programs for my current components before handing it over to the techies, or is it safe to assume they will remove those programs before installing the drivers for the new equipment? For instance I don't want some kind of hardware/software conflict with two audio card drivers on my PC(i.e. SB Live vs Audigy). Ditto for two CD burning programs, HP and Pioneer. Should I delete all the software for the soon to be replaced equipment or leave it to the tech guys to do?

i would let the techies do this, instruct them to do it. that way if anything goes wrong, it is no skin off your back so to speak Smile.gif they know how to do this sort of stuff

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Thanks Justin. I'll try to remember to tell them, although if I forget I hope they'd do that anyway as standard procedure.

The whole hardware/software conflict thing reminds me of one of Steven Wright's old jokes:

"I once got a humidifier and a dehumidifier for my birthday. So I put em both in the same room and decided to let em fight it out."

yeah, i am sure they will do that anyways... if they don't, then they have no reason touching a computer! much less charging you money to let them touch it Smile.gif

loved the humidifier/dehumidifier joke Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

It's a real crap shoot. If your going to Best Buy or CompUSA, place your computer behind one of your tires before you back out of your driveway, you'll have better sucess if you do that. If you are going to an independent place, you will probably be fine. Lets put it this way, if you have seen or talked to the repair person, your probably OK. Good luck and enjoy the upgrage!

BACK UP ANYTHING YOU WANT BEFORE SENDING IT OFF TO SURGURY!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Personally, I have not and will never allow any service or repair shop touch my PC's. Upgrading PC components, to include hard drives, is a reasonably easy task. I perform my own upgrades and begin by checking the component manufacturers site for the latest updated drivers, then read the FAQ's. Download their latest drivers prior to installing the hardware.

I've spent countless hours at friends homes, correcting blunders made by so called upgrade technicans. If you must entrust your PC to them, by all means follow kenratboy's advice.....BACK! BACKUP! BACKUP!! your PC's hard drive.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 01-27-2002 at 10:58 AM

so, how did this play out???

------------------

-justin