Psst! Nekkid JBL Folded Horns Pics

thebes

Very interesting and most helpful reply Maron and Dave.

Of course, maybe I should have posted some pics before I tore it apart. It's going to be a beast to get it all back together, but again it was a pretty beat up specimen to begin with. I did a quick perusal on ebay and it looks like both the tweets and horns bring serious dough, something I'd don't have at the moment, so do you think it would be worth playing with just using the 15" driver as a full range driver? I haven't pulled the xover yet, but a recap shouldn't be too hard.

This one was set up "laying on it's side version" but I only have two of the legs anyway so I'll take your advice and just stand it on end with the driver on top.

Looks like it's off to the store for some wood glue and filler.

The D-130 is a extended range speaker... Very rich in the mids not too bad in the highs,,,Though a tweet will give give it better extension.. Yes some glue and slathering some filler is a start. Veneer would help. from Parts Express.

I had a D 130 (with 075 tweeter & crossover) in a C 34, which, as people have said was very similar to the c 40, except the C 40 was on its side 9low boy) with legs. Another difference was that the C 34 had angled rear sides to help it fit into a corner. Having read my PWK even then, I had mine pushed back into corners. Even so, there was virtually no moderately deep bass (without turning up the bass control on the preamp), but there was some nice upper bass punch @ about 100 to 175 Hz. It did survive having the bass control turned up, and would shake the floor nicely. Still, it was "out of there" at about 50 Hz, and already drooping at 80 Hz. My Klipschorns have as much at 31.5 Hz as the C 34s had at 60, with the bass turned up to toleration! I would characterizing them as "very clean" in the bass to 60 Hz for the C 34, and to 35 or lower for the Klipschorns (with wall studs every 8" in the room corners).

I thought the C 40s had a smooth curve inside the lower bass horn, just like in the C 34s (and as seen in the drawing posted by Larry C) -- the photos of the C 40s in this thread don't seem to show that smooth curve.

The D 130 was an overbuilt and extraordinary loudspeaker, as was the 130 A, both with 4 " voice coils!

Awesome find! I love these old JBL's. I would love to have one of those to use as a center between my c-38's. Or better yet a pair. The D-130's have a suprising range. They are almost usable on their own. I'd give it a whirl Marty, your a crafty guy!

Jeremy