Heresy II Project

bliss53

I have the illness. Landed a pair of 89 Heresy II in rough shape for $120. I was traveling in CT on business and a ebay seller could not sell them at $250. I went and looked at them after the sale. The tweeters are blown. There is one corner that looks a little punky. It looks like it got wet at some time and swelled. The inside of the cabinet is solid at that point. I will re-veener.

How do repair this area?

MDF is a real pain, especially when it gets wet and "swells". There are a number of ways, but here's the method I use. Assuming an empty cabinet... Use an oribital sander and sand the "swelled" up part until you are down into the hard MDF. Could be alot, but you need to get down into the undamaged MDF with at least 1/2" all way round. Consider it like a "tumor", you need to cut it out and make sure you have it all... Then you can useepoxy/resin or Bondo. I suggest Gold Bondo in that you are going to re-veneer them anyways. Mix only small amounts, not more than 2-3" wide on the cardboard, and apply thin coats, allow to fuly dry between coats, until you have built up the area to approximately 1/4" more than the surrounding MDF. Then using a hand sanding block with 180 grit paper, carefully sand (very little pressure is required) until it's almost flush. Then use 220 grit and flush the corner even with the panels. Allow to dry for at least 24 hours before applying veneer.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Those have cloth surrounds, and can be repaired. You can get some Weldbond, which looks a lot like the white Elmer's Glue. It isn't at all the same.

You can use a small piece of cigarette paper on the back side over the hole, glued on with some thinned Weldbond. It is water soluble. 50/50 is okay. Use a small artists paint brush (cheap is good).A few coats will seal it right up. It dries clear and remains flexible.

I used this method (per djk) to repair some foam surrounds on some JBL woofers. I treated the complete surround on them, and repaired a bunch of splits. Did it change the compliance? Probably, but how would you know compared to the giant air leaks they had. The owner is very happy with the results, and it cost me about $5 and some time. While the drivers were out of the cabinets, I cleaned and redid them with boiled linseed oil (they were walnut veneer cabs).

Bruce

Been a long time since I have purchased cigarette papers.

Long time for me as well. I used some tissue wrapping paper instead, which was thin enough and still rather tough. It worked really well. While you only need to patch the hole, you could do the whole surround with the Weldbond, but it probably isn't necessary.

Bruce

Glue up with paper backing worked great. It was kind of tought to get the backing in place because the hole was very close to the frame. After three tries I got it in the proper place following the pleated form of the surround. Flexibility seemed good after it dried.

I have another question. What should be done to the crossovers, if any thing. I will give them a try as is but I thought I would begin planning. Here is a picture.