My Heresies

TommyC

The Good news? I was able to buy my 1985 Heresies back from the guy I sold them too for $30 less than I sold them to him for almost 8 months ago. The Bad news? I just got them hooked up and they are Not healthy! One has No sound from the midrange horn and the other has No sound from the Tweeter!! I opened them up and looked and everything is still attached, so I am thinking blown drivers! Oh well, after 23 years they are probably ready to be upgraded anyway! I guess I need to do a little research on the current state of Heresy 1 upgrading!!! Any and all suggestions are, as always, welcomed!

Congrats on gettin your heresy speakers back.

Good trouble shooting would include loosening and retightning connections on the crossovers. Sometimes good contact can be lost. Also, swapping parts to make sure that the problem follows the part swapped.

Bob Crites is a good contact on diaphragms if needed.

Also, sound could be improved significantly getting a rebuild kit for crossovers from Bob or others. Caps don't have to be expensive. Bob has a kit, or can do a turn key job, to restore, essentially to factory spec.

Thanks Daddy Dee! I spent the morning checking wires, cleacing contacts, and reseating the connections and even though none of them seemed loose, everything works again!!?? I guess Something was loose enough to be a problem.

Thelonious Monk sure sounds better through my Heresies than through my $25 computer speakers!!! (How is That for understatement?)

Excellent ... but really consider recapping those crossovers ... BEC can set you up with Soniccaps .. if that breaks the budget (prolly about $70) then Janzten Cross-caps from Parts Express will work great ( I have them and love them).

1 hour with a soldering iron and your Heresy's will be back to factory spec and sounding even better.

Oops. spoke too soon. The tweeter has bugged out again! [:(] Back to the drawing board! I plan on redoing or replacing the crossovers, I just haven't got the cash right now.

One question... Are the new woofers in the Heresy III's direct replacements for the ones in my Heresy 1.5's? Or even better, will the H-III upgrade kit work in my speakers? BTW, I call them 1.5's because they were built in late 1984/early 1985 on Heresy boxes (removeable back) with all Heresy II internals.

The woofer for the HIII won't work as a replacement for the woofer in either the H, H1.5 or HII. The upgrade kit is meant as a total replacement for the HII guts. You would need to call Klipsch to find out if all would work in yours. Since the back on yours comes off, I'm thinking off the top of my head the answer is 'no'. But I'm often mistaken [*-)] I just hate passing up the possibility that I might be right (notice the Stravinsky quote in my sig.)

Bruce

Got lucky again on my Tweeter. A guy on a local audio list that I am on bought a pair of Heresies to get one for a center channel and had the other in his garage. He is swapping me his good tweeter fro my bad one and all it will cost me is a burger and a few beers! He said he had already used the woofer and squawker out of the spare for some other project and he had no real need for the tweeter anymore! I should be listening to music through something other than my PC speakers again in about an hour!!!

I have noticed that Vintage Audio people can sometimes seem like old friends the minute you meet them for some reason!!

It has been a good day! Made a friend, got my Heresies back up and singing, and learned some stuff about my crossovers that I didn't know! Now the saving begins for crossover upgrade parts and repairs to my trusty old (but currently dead) Pioneer SA-8500 amp!! Anyone know a good amp repair man? [:D]

Congrats on getting things in order on the speakers.

On amp repair, I don't know anyone who could do it. However, the cost of shipping and labor could easily exceed the market value of the amp.

For economical sound, you may well be able to pick up a HK receiver from a forum member or be on the watch on Ebay. HK 430 or one of it's bigger brothers make Heritage speakers sing.