AVR suggestions?

freestyle

Just got into a PS3 for Blu-Ray, a 52xbr4 and also at the same time bought the new str-dg820 avr. Hooked it all up and realized a tweeter blew on my 22 year old Cerwin Vega's. So, with a little help and advice from my bro in law and some members here I just bought the RF-83's. Gonna grab the matching 64 center as well.

My 820 is rated on the box at 8 ohms, 110watts per channel with .07% thd. Although I guess I need to listen to it all when the speakers come in this week I'm wondering if I should upgrade my Sony while I still have the chance to return it. I know people love the Onkyo's, Denon's and Marantz. Love to hear some input from you guys.

The other thing is I live in a condo, 12 foot ceiling and wood floors. Can't totally crank this system like if I was in a house. So I'll be on the lower side of the volume with 5.1 movies and music. I have a powered sub too. So, not sure it will even matter if I move up to a different amp. What do you guys think?

• Moderators

Personally, in my experience Sony is a great company. They make great products (TV's, Camcorders etc) but I do not think they make that good of products in the area of audio (whether it be speakers or receivers). I have heard the Sony ES line and I was not in the least bit impressed. From my understanding, the main benefit from the other companies you listed is that they have better power supplies and have high current amplifiers. I'm not familiar with the model Sony that you have but to me, I don't think it will do the RF-83's justice. My Onkyo has tons of clean power at 100 wattts/ch to throw at my 83's. Harman Kardon also makes a great receiver. Bang for the buck, you almost cannot beat the price and features in the new Onkyo line. Just my 2cents.

If you like music go Marantz,Sony ain't even in the running.Not knocking the Onkyo but I just sold my 805,very happy to only lose $25 or so,pitiful for 2CH music,good HT,unreliable.The Denons are generally solid,work well,sound slightly dull but not bad.HK is great other than some minor quirks,but the best music in a mass avr,all owned and all imo.

• Moderators

If you like music go Marantz,Sony ain't even in the running.Not knocking the Onkyo but I just sold my 805,very happy to only lose $25 or so,pitiful for 2CH music,good HT,unreliable.The Denons are generally solid,work well,sound slightly dull but not bad.HK is great other than some minor quirks,but the best music in a mass avr,all owned and all imo.

I have to agree with Fish on a few points. I really like my Onkyo. HT it's great. Music....it's good but my Harman Kardon sounded MUCH sweeter for 2ch. I remember grinning from ear to ear listening with my HK AVR55. Music was so sensual and it had fantastic separation of musical instruments. The Onkyo blends a lot of the instruments together for maybe a smoother sound but I prefer the separation I once had with the HK. I have owned 2 Onkyo's and neither have been unreliable in any means. Just my 2cents.

Y,I never had any mechanical problems w/older Onks,I considered them marginal but reliable.The last two I've had broke down in less than 6 months,a 7 and 8 series.From a statistical stand point it don't mean much,but left me holding the shipping bag.And then there is Onkyos ongoing fiasco with upgrades,firmware,dsp.Their approach is the worst policy in electronics history,again imo..

I tried 4 receivers with my Klipsch 7.1 setup . . . unti I settled on the Pioneer Elite 94TXH avr. Wow! Music and HT are awesome! See if you can audition one. Pioneer has a new line coming and the price on the Pio 94 is dropping fast.